1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Recruiting Hat Dance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Jan 10, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Pretty good story on Grantland about the hat dance most elite recruits use on signing day. You know, picking one hat up and choosing that school, only to toss it aside before grabbing the REAL hat. It's all a bunch of nonsense, but the author makes a good point. In a college football world full of nonsense, the hat dance is the least of our concerns.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/47079/in-defense-of-the-college-football-recruiting-hat-dance

I remember hearing about former VT star Kevin Jones (a Pa. prep) who was seemingly all set to choose Penn State. I can't remember if he threw a Penn State jersey or hat in the trash can, but it was something like that. Really pissed off an entire state, it seemed.

Anyway, I know there are some good stories out there about the hat dance. Please share them here.

2. Pacman Jones (I think) is the guy who stands out for me.
    He pulled the same hat stunt (in fact he's the first one I recall doing it) when he walked into his signing with a UGA hat or something and chucked it in favor of a WVU lid.

We had a kid who signed with WVU ... Our sports guys broke the story the night before his signing day and it pissed the kid off because he didn't get to do the hat dance horseshit.

Edit: And I love how the first comment mentions Kevin Hart and his Cal.-Oregon debacle.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I went down to that abomination in San Antonio one year and chased a big-name recruit around all week and couldn't get any time with him. Not even a minute. Entourage protecting him, basically. Most humiliating experience of my career, probably. The beginning of the end.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

still like the douchebag who proclaimed that he's going to the University of Penn State.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Bunch of fluff and here's why:

Curtis never proves this line:

"So why do we fans hate the hat dance?"

anywhere in the story. It's not there. Fans don't hate it, or, at least, if they do, Curtis provides no evidence. One dude on a message board? Yeah, that's "fans."

I get kick out of the hat dance, personally. It's showmanship. Life needs a little more of it.

The purpose of the column is to strike back, once again, at the anonymous moralizers of college football. It's a popular target these days. Why not just celebrate the quirk of the hat dance and leave it there, instead of creating some false opponent from the Newspaper Age for the Internet Truth Avenger to slay.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Is that it? Sounds like dummy, not a douchebag. Unless there's more to it than just that.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Landon Collins won a national title. Mom's OK by now.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The NCAA has rules about everything under the fucking sun.

In a game, on the field of play, if you point a finger at an opponent after scoring a touchdown or ramming home a dunk, you are immediately penalized with a 15-yard flag or a technical foul, on the grounds you are engaging in unsportsmanlike behavior and taunting (sometimes debatable in the heat of play).

The hat dance is an entire premeditated, pre-planned, orchestated media event whose entire fucking purpose is to taunt MULTIPLE SCHOOLS AT THE SAME TIME (i.e. all the schools the hotshot does not select).

The NCAA has a zillion fucking rules about everything. Here's one they should adopt right now:

"At any press conference or other media event of any type conducted by a student-athlete to announce his/her choice of institution, the ONLY logo/insignia of any NCAA institution which may appear shall be the institution chosen by the student-athlete. If any article of clothing, paraphernalia, artwork or any other representation of ANY OTHER NCAA institution appears in public at any such announcement event, the student-athlete shall be ineligible for 50 percent of the scheduled contests, plus one, in the succeeding season of competition. It is the responsibility of the student-athlete to ensure, by any means necessary, nobody attending any such announcement event violates this rule."

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

Good luck with that.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The hat dance is being done by HS players. NCAA only has jurisdiction over NCAA "student-athletes"(UNPAID PLAYERS); so hat dance continues.

On hat dance day, there should be an expose by someone with b*lls to highlight the inequity of how on one side the kid signs four one-year commitments; renewable at the University's discretion; while kid is bound to the university for FOUR years.

I'm glad the kids can make the NCAA and the other mongers squirm; because that's the last time the player can until 3 years later.

Let's ask Manziel how much $$ he's gotten this year? Now how many Manziel jerseys and memorabilia has A&M received? Yeah, its fair.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The hat-dance fandango is basically nothing more than ritualized crotch-grabbing.

12. Layman

Layman Active Member

Actually, the d-bag was Terrelle Pryor, with the "university of ohio state". I love/hate that guy....

Draft saved Draft deleted