1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The recruit who wasn't

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Feb 10, 2008.

1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Why? Where's the crime here?

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Fraud?

3. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Filing a false police report is a possibility, and if lying to law enforcement is a crime in Nevada as it as on the federal level, that is too, but my recollection is that authorities have said Kevin Hart won't be charged.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Yeah, but what's the difference between him telling a room of 4,000 kids and his family that he's going to accept a scholarship to play football at California and it not be true and him telling that same crowd that he's going out on a date with Jessica Alba?

Sure, the second is probably less believable, especially for a group of people that likely saw him tear up the football fields and have no method of comparison to determine that he's a California-type player. But when determining the validity of a possible date with Miss Alba, what would they say? He's not good-looking enough? He's too young?

To me, until there's some kind of measureable harm done to someone, this wouldn't be fraud. Who did he hurt? Himself the most, his parents were probably pissed and his school probably though "Aw shucks. Would have been cool if it was true, though."

5. bermosk

bermosk New Member

He falsified a police report.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And there. And over there. And around here...

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Mitch Albom:

"I shouted out, 'who forced this kid to stage the bogus LOI press conference?,' when after all, it was you and me."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080210/COL01/802100639/&imw=Y

::) ::)

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Mitch once again hammering home stories of local interest on time, I see.

9. Yep, but he's not going to be charged and he shouldn't be. The kid has already been shellacked and will continue to be. Any prosecutor who goes after this is just out for blood - what lesson will it teach that hasn't already been taught. Most people in that area want this behind them.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I didn't think that was bad. Maybe a little late, but he makes the salient point.

11. bermosk

bermosk New Member

You'd be surprised what people in "that area" want.

12. Enlighten us.

Do you think they like the national attention?

Draft saved Draft deleted