1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The recruit who wasn't

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Feb 10, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I KNOW I've got to be d_bing this, because I can't fathom that this fine board missed it.

But it's the logical extension of recruiting gone mad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3236039

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Aw, geez, shot, I think we have two threads on this douchenozzle.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/52535/

3. it's a db, but this is the best story i've read about it so far

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This has got to be db to the 7th power by now.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Damn, that was a good column.
    I hadn't paid any attention to this story since earlier in the week. I can't believe he made the whole thing up.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, kinda turns talk away from the early opinions that this kid was a victim, doesn't it?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was a great column. And that would make one helluva movie.

I want to say man, fuck that kid, but the fervor for recruiting info and gossip at least partially created him.

8. The bigger the lie ...

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That was the only part of the column that bothered me, he never got into the fact that his web site and his tv stations are part of the problem. He mentions ESPNU, but he doesn't point out that if there wasn't so much hype then a kid wouldn't feel the need to validate himself by doing this.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

All the hype, etc., is absurd, but I don't think we need to go overboard looking at this. This is a once in a lifetime scenario that surely went way, way further than the little liar ever thought it would.

I feel sorry for the guy, but I don't feel bad for him. If that makes any sense.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't feel sorry for the kid one bit. He's famous now. Hell, he'll probably get a book and movie deal.

12. I think, more likely, he's going to be the local joke in his tiny town for the rest of his life.
    So, yes, I feel sorry for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted