1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Real War on Women: Sex Selection Abortion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 6, 2012.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I used to be against abortion. Then I lived in Latin America for a while for a while where it was illegal. I met women who had gotten illegal abortions on the street. I knew a gynecologist at a public hospital in a slum who told me 50% of women he saw had abortions, many of the coat hanger variety.

What does that have to do with America, you say? If abortion was outlawed here tomorrow I think women with money would get them from gynecologists in nice clinics and the authorities would wink at it. And poor women would be going the coat hanger route and the cops would be busting them. Because in America, as in many other places, money makes it right.

Does anyone really think I am to cynical?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nope.

And I think it's a mistake the pro-choice crowd keeps making. It's all great to talk about how it's a personal choice. Except a good portion of the population believes the choice should take a back seat to taking a life.

I still think they should bring up the coat hanger aspect. And start talking about how women will die, every single day if it's not legal. Mothers, sisters and daughters. And pro-lifers, except for the extreme ones, cannot just wag their fingers and say they deserve to die. Otherwise, that would not make them pro-life.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

'Safe, legal and rare' has been the pro-choice argument from the beginning. The finger wagging goes on regardless.

4. Baron Scicluna

True, but then the finger-waggers would be seen as the heartless ones, not the desperate women who aren't ready to have children yet.

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Roe v. Wade was decided my freshman year in college. When I was in high school in Florida, middle-class girls went to the islands for abortions. If you had money, you went to Sweden.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree the scenario you described is likely. That is why stuff like this is not so black and white.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Starman, the real extremists go as far as killing doctors and blowing up clinics. Thankfully, the majority is a bit less violent, if no less set in their views.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If death penalty opponents truly believe that the state could be killing an innocent man/woman, then they should shut down a scheduled execution By Any Means Necessary, and if they're not doing that, then they don't really believe it. They may say they do, but they don't.

9. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

We can debate a nearly non-existent issue in America, or we can talk about the tens of millions of missing babies in Asia. A year ago, India was at 112:100 boys to girls, China was 121:100.

Are you still a feminist if you support gender-specific infanticide?

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Imagine the uproar if, somewhere down the road, a test is developed that can identify if a fetus will be gay and folks start aborting those babies.

11. Baron Scicluna

Why would they want to abort a fetus if it's gay? The test would prove that homosexuality is genetic, not behavoral, thereby sending the superstition that gays are have something wrong with them into the history books next to the "world is flat" philosophy.

The ones who would have an issue would be homophobes who are also against abortion. That would be an interesting conundrum for them.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Is Chris Rock right in saying pro-choice rallies are great places to pick up women?

Draft saved Draft deleted