1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Real War on Women: Sex Selection Abortion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 6, 2012.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

How about hair and eye color selection? How about if you don't think the baby will have a strong chin? What if he's destined to be (gasp!) bald? How are we going to police the myriad reasons people will and will not proceed with pregnancies?

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-fetal-genome-sequence-20120607,0,7625263.story

Scientists have pieced together the entire DNA sequence of an 18-week-old fetus without having to use any invasive tests that could result in a miscarriage — an advance that offers a glimpse of the future of prenatal testing.

Using blood drawn from the mother and a sample of saliva from the father, the researchers were able to scan the fetus' genome and determine whether it contained any of the myriad single-letter changes in the DNA code that can cause a genetic disorder. They could even pinpoint which mutations were inherited from Mom, which came from Dad, and which were brand-new.

2. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I find this bill really impressive, as its existence means there's been a startling advance in mind-reading technology.

Or this is an unenforceable mess that is bad legislation.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of my roommates in college was the oldest of five boys, his mom wanted a daughter so badly that they adopted one from Vietnam. Three months after the adoption was complete, she got pregnant... with a girl.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

She can abstain from sex if it's that important to her. Or at least the kind that produces a baby.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

"SHE CAN TAKE IT IN THE ASS..." - Alma... :D

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What it really does is give more ammo to the anti-abortion crowd to ban ALL abortions under the guise of gender selection.

I'm somewhere in the middle on this. I don't favor banning all abortions, but there are far too many currently. Maybe should be where it is medically necessary to protect the life of the mother. But too many are simply done out of convenience.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Being in favor of abortion only in cases of danger to the life of the mother does not put you "somewhere in the middle."

8. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Well, yes, that's the goal. I do not agree with this goal, but this sort of thing is problematic for reasons that have nothing to do with a person's personal view on abortion. It's just bad legislation. I can't see how even anyone opposed to all abortion all the time can coherently argue this is either enforceable or a good and productive use of our elected officials' time. This does not need to be a moral argument just because this is a moral issue. Sometimes things are just dumb, even if you agree with the end goal. This is just dumb, and a bad way to go about making an anti-abortion case.

I don't know. This kind of bullshit rages me and just highlights how broken our political system is. This is not a serious attempt to do anything, or introduce any legitimate debate into the marketplace of ideas. It's just an excuse to stand up and screech during an election year and look like you're doing something, with a bill you know will never go anywhere.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That awkward moment where you realize Mark2010, not only agrees with you, but would take your ideas one step further, thus causing you to reevaluate everything you believe in.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I've had a lot of talks with anti-abortion people. Most of them honestly, genuinely believe that abortion is killing a human life. Nothing any of us say is going to change that.

So I'm not sure a compromise solution exists that both sides can live with. This seems to be an issue destined to be argued until the end of time.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If they truly believe that, then they should shut down all abortion clinics By Any Means Necessary, and if they're not doing that, then they don't really believe it. They may say they do, but they don't.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

and sammy hagar couldn't drive 55, which made him a fucking law breaker.

three decades later, maybe they should get the fuck over it, and shut the fuck up.

Draft saved Draft deleted