1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Real War on Women: Sex Selection Abortion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 6, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, it's being waged on our shores:

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Concerned, etc.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Having not read the language of the bill, I'm curious how law enforcement would determine if someone was deciding to have an abortion because of the baby's gender. How would you prove that?

My second question would be, is this really an epidemic here in the U.S.?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree with the second part... I'm sure it happens, but does anyone think this is a widespread problem in this country?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Fetuses with Down's Syndrome are already being aborted at rates between 67% and 90%:

Sex selection abortions are already common in some parts of the world, and as a nation of immigrants, these customs are being practiced here, and the numbers are growing.

As the science improves, what other reasons for abortion will surface?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Let's see, China has a law that forces women to only have one child. Women who get pregnant a second time have to have an abortion. If we're so concerned about abortion, why don't we sanction China economically for this issue?

Oh, silly me, it's only important to restrict women in the U.S. After all, we can't sanction China because we've got to buy cheap plastic Barbie Dolls from them.

7. You think it should be illegal to abort a fetus because it has Down's Syndrome?

As the science improves, what other ways will politicians try to criminalize reproductive choice?

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't think being against abortion or calling for it to be illegal is an extremist position.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Neither YF nor Trent Franks has offered any evidence of the claim that immigrants are getting sex-selective abortions in increasing numbers.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I can't imagine ever having to make the decision what to do if you know ahead of time that the baby has downs or some other disease... I am so very thankful that I never had to make that decision.

My sister had to go through a series of tests because the information they got back after she had the first test was inconclusive. They found out later than the baby was fine, but she had 3-4 weeks where she didn't know. It was pretty brutal... They found out later that the reason the test was inconclusive was because she wasn't as far along in the pregnancy as the doctor had thought...

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'd also be interested in how folks would be expected to divine a person's motivation for having an abortion.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The doctors get to be detectives as well!

Draft saved Draft deleted