1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The real victims of outing a covert CIA agent

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lamar Mundane, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

http://test.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_6316023

You see, al-Qaeda and its ilk rarely try to kill CIA agents - or anyone else who can fight back. What these cowards do is kill people who have worked with U.S. agents.

You can imagine the conversation: "Hmm, that Valerie Plame who visited here turns out to be a CIA agent. Didn't she hang out at Hamid's coffee shop a lot?"

Next day, Hamid's body turns up, along with the bodies of his wife and family, all of whom were tortured to death before his eyes.

That's the way our enemies play the game. That's why we train brave men and women like Valerie Plame so America can fight back.

2. Or, more to the point, I wouldn't want to be any Iranian who worked with Brewster Jennings.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

That's a damn good column that cuts to the quick through all the legalistic and grandstanding bullshit.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I see the point of the column, though I could have lived without his personal history. That doesn't really add to the logic of the argument he's making. And, I think he's wrong on one point, where he said this did not put Plame at risk. You out an agent, that agent is at risk, or at least more at risk. Still, it's a notion worthy of making that Plame isn't the only victim.

Draft saved Draft deleted