1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The real story? It's me!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TwoGloves, Jan 29, 2008.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

OK, I'm down in Orlando for a few days and I'm watching the local sports last night. Guy starts talking about the winning shot one of the Magic players hit against the Celtics Sunday. (Can't remember the player's name.) So what does he do? He shows the shot and then cuts to a tape of him on the playground, dribbling around as he recreates the shot. As he goes to shoot, he stops the tape and puts up a graphic that lists four choices for what happens next: Nothing but net, air ball, brick or off the rim. Asks the anchors to guess what happens. They guess and then he goes to a split screen with the Magic player and him both shooting at the same time. Naturally, he hits nothing but net despite wearing his dress shirt and tie. Then he goes back to the sportscast. Shows the Giants getting off the plane and that's about it. No highlights of any other sports. He blew about 90 seconds on that shit. My question: How in the fuck does this guy not get fired on the spot? Only in TV I guess.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I'd guess he had his boss' approval before doing it. And since many, many local sports segments suck royally, at least that one sucked in a different way.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You mean all TV stations don't have their sports anchor play football on the lawn with the sports radio talk show host and the $4 million-per-year football coach?

4. Have you just moved to this great land of ours from the remotest part of Uzbekistan? This is how local sports drones get PROMOTED.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

That's Journalism 101, my man.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

While I didn't see the clip, am I retard for thinking that at least the concept is clever?
    I don't know about the execution, that may have ruined it, but still at it least sounds like dude was trying.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Would have been funny if some big guy came out of nowhere and blocked the ball back into the guy's face.

8. Fixed.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, yeah, on cable. Not network.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Trust me, I've seen that type of crap before. But in my tiny little corner of the world, all three local sportscasts are better than the crap I've seen down here. And that is truly sad. But hey, the weather is awesome, 81 and sunny until the clouds came out about an hour ago.

11. Sounds like something Chris Berman would do.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Eating a spleen or hitting a jumper?

Draft saved Draft deleted