1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The real "Soup Nazi" is coming back

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Al Yeganeh will soon be back in business in Manhattan. His stand -- not quite like it was portrayed in "Seinfeld" -- is nonetheless a must-visit place for any Jerry-phile visiting NY.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/21/al-yeganeh-the-soup-man-will-reopen-his-original-shop/

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Around '95 or '96 I used to go to this guy's place all the time.

I was working on the trading floor and usually didn't get a break for work. I would get off work around 3:00 and wanted something that would tide me over until dinner with the girlfriend.

Honestly, his soup was the best I ever had. He didn't skimp on ingredients. If you ordered lobster bisque, there were chunks of fresh lobster meat in it.

It was just a walk up window. You didn't enter a storefront.

And you had to be ready to both order & pay.

The line could be down the block earlier in the day, but when I went, it was usually short.

If Al liked you, he might throw fruit, bread, or a piece of chocolate in your bag for free. (In Seinfeld, I think George is excited when he gets a piece of fruit.)

I was a regular & Al liked me. I almost always got bread, fruit, and chocolate.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I just got a warm fuzzy.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I think it was bread.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

6. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

It was bread.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Waiting in line for soup is absurd.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

No soup for you!

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I heard Jordan signed on as the new pitch man.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My good friend's grandmother lives upstairs from where the shop used to be. The soup is damn near divine.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The soup is great. Every time I've gone, I've always gotten fruit, a large hunk of bread, butter and a chocolate with the soup order. It's standard, I think. The prices are high, but you basically get a lunch.

The fruit has always been excellent, at the peak of ripeness. No green bananas or hard peaches. Al's attention to detail in all things is outstanding.

If you can wait and go around 3 o'clock, you won't wait on line more than a couple of minutes.

12. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

"Do I know you?"

Draft saved Draft deleted