1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "real reason" for the Jersey traffic jam

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't know if a failed endorsement let to the traffic jam, and apparently the press doesn't either.

In the absence of facts, media ranging from Rachel Maddow to the New York Times have presented alternate theories, based on pure speculation.

I don't remember another instance of journalistic musings being tossed around like this.

Here's the Time's today:

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You don't remember journalistic musings being tossed around like this? Really!?!

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/98644/

Your personal narrative is showing.

3. YankeeFan

LOL.

First off, the Times is different than the National Enquirer. I think you can agree with that statement.

Secondly, the guessing here is about the motives behind the story, and they are pure guesses. They don't even get someone off the record stating that the reason is what is being suggested.

And, the reason for the guessing appears only to be a dissatisfaction with the current explanation. I'm happy to see journalists not accept the conventional wisdom, and for them to dig a little deeper. But, there's no digging here, just guessing.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That article is missing something...

Maybe this is what it's missing?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. YankeeFan

The only direct reference to the developments in the documents gathered in the investigations so far came in a desperate plea Mayor Sokolich sent to Mr. Baroni, who was the deputy executive director of the Port Authority, on Sept. 12, the fourth straight day that traffic was snarled in his borough.

Near the end of the two-page letter, Mr. Sokolich asked, “What do I do when our billion-dollar redevelopment is put online at the end of the next year?”

That query highlighted just how sensitive a matter the project was to Mr. Sokolich. In private communications turned over to investigators, members of Mr. Christie’s inner circle called Mr. Sokolich an “idiot,” but the only allusion to punishment was a call for “traffic problems in Fort Lee” from Bridget Anne Kelly, a deputy chief of staff who was fired last week.

“They were really mad at the mayor about something, but it’s not clear what that something was,” Mr. Wisniewski said.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

When I saw this thread title and who started it, I really thought he was going to blame it on marijuana.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I assume that's because like the rest of us, you don't consider Fox News to be journalism.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

As bridge scandals go, the New Jersey thing is a distant second.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.