1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Real Inventor of Money Ball Returns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Alderson has hired J.P. Ricciardi as an adviser.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That is a good hire and step in right direction for the Mets. Ricciardi is more current on the players than Alderson.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If I'm with the Mets, I start trying to put a team together instead of going the "Yankees Lite" approach that always seems to bite them in the ass. You might not win the back page, but you might win a few more games.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

From your lips to Jeffey Wilpon's ears

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Since they aren't going to be spending money unuless than can unload the Castillo and Perez albatross contracts, they have to build creatively.

Davis, Tejada, Reyes, Wright, Bay Beltran, Pagan, Thole is not awful if they stay healthy and Bay and Beltran hit.
    Need pitching help, especially with Johan out for the first two months -- trade for Greinke? -- and the bullpen is a disaster.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Even if that lineup stays healthy and goes best case scenario, it's not a contender.

The core of Reyes, Wright and Beltran had its chance and Carlos watched a hanging slider fall in for strike three.

I'd blow it up and start over. I'd make all the expensive vets expendable. Build around speed, defense and pitching, playing to the strengths of Citi Field.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Giants just won The Series doing just that. The took a risk on some out of favor players with high upside that all came up aces - Ross / Burrell/ Uribe/ Sanchez/

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Yeah but the Giants have four young studs in the rotation

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Expensive vets are Santana (shoulder surgery), Beltran (coming off injury, final year), Perez (basket case), Rodriguez (head case), Bay (just got here, coming off concussion), Castillo useless. That's about $80 million in bad or unmovable contracts.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Don't forget about K-Rod, who if he's healthy should be good, but still wouldn't command that money today.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Does anyone want to point out that the manager Sandy Alderson didn't want to keep in San Diego just won the fucking World Series? Or no? Or that his managerial philosophies have brought exactly zero World Series to Oakland under Billy Beane?

A beautiful harbinger, if you ask me.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

How many years did he make the playoffs? I'll take my chance if I'm a Mets fan. How many unemployed architects of dynasties were sitting around waiting for the Mets to call?

Draft saved Draft deleted