1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Real Inventor of Money Ball Returns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sandy Alderson back as Met GM. Always thought that he did not get near enough of the credit for the idea. Much of book attributed the success of The A's to Billy Beane when in reality most of the players that brought A's success in the early 2000's were brought in under Alderson.

Of course Alderson also benefited by the advent of PED's.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I like how Alderson was charged with cleaning up steroids in the Dominican. Kind of like putting the fox in charge of cleaning up the henhouse.

Mets: Always a joke.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Like making Joe Kennedy head of the SEC.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think it's weird, like Keith Law pointed out, that Sandy Alderson gets a big brunt of this anger. Didn't every team have people using anyway? It's not like Lou Gorman and Randy Smith were blowing the whistles on their steroid users either.

Provided that Alderson gets totally autonomy, it seems like a good hire for the Mets. At the least, you think this would cut down on the really embarrassing snafus that Omar would find himself in.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Alderson gets the brunt of the anger b/c a.) he was overseeing Steroid Central and b.) somehow fashioned himself a take-no-prisoners guy ready to cleanse the game of steroids.

And with Lil' Shithead Jeffy and Freddy Baseball in the office, the odds of Alderson really getting total autonomy are slightly longer than me winning the Pulitzer.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Tony LaRussa never saw anybody do steroids either.

And he still doesn't.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Waiting for the other shoe to drop, i. e. when Sandy gives his stamp of approval to some Casper
    Milquetoast manager, some no-name baseball nerd, because Sandy is going to be the pointman/star of this show, and don't you forget it, baby.

Met disaster . . . catch it!

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I guess the issues in the Dominican Republic are cleared up. I can't believe the Mets were also considering the guy who got axed from Arizona.

Didn't Alderson hire LaRussa for the A's and Bochy in San Diego? It's not like these guys haven't had success under Alderson and elsewhere.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fool me once...

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Step right up and pay those bustout 2011 prices for copious roster deadweight and the
    grotesque salaries of multiple self-reverential underperformers. What are you waiting for?

Tickets . . . available.

11. Well since Billy Beane wrote Moneyball it only makes sense that he portrays himself as the hero of the book. / Joe Morgan

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Does Joe Morgan know he's alive?

I can't wait until it's safe to watch Sunday Night Baseball again without a full bottle of liquor at hand.

Fire the clown. Now.

Draft saved Draft deleted