1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ray Rice Elevator Video

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

A punch like that could have broken her eye socket.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Baltimore Ravens @Ravens · May 23

Janay Rice says she deeply regrets the role that she played the night of the incident.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And Keith Law takes a long, slow turn around the bases:

keithlaw @keithlaw · 1h

That role was "domestic violence victim." “@Ravens: Janay Rice says she deeply regrets the role that she played the night of the incident.”

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Which apparently was the role of Glass Joe.

5. YankeeFan

#PlayLikeARaven

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

"I bet they both are NBA season ticket holders."
    -- Hawks owner.

7. YankeeFan

What will the Ray Rice statue look like?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The Ravens built a statue of Antonio Brown?

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm also curious how long TMZ had this video before releasing it, and who provided it. The timing can't be an accident -- the Monday morning after week one? Timed for maximum impact.

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

He was indicted on a felony charge of aggravated assault, then - inexplicably - allowed to enter the pretrial diversion program.

As I said on the other thread, the prosecution in this case makes no sense to me. And at that point I was assuming that a video existed showing what we see on this video. If you're going to offer the pretrial diversion program, you don't indict the felony. If you're going to indict the felony, you don't offer pretrial diversion.

In the prosecutors office I worked in, a pretrial diversion program is only available when there's no evidence of serious violence - even if the defendant's record is spotless. And I consider video of the defendant knocking the victim unconscious to be strong evidence of serious violence.

Allowing people to plead to lesser offences or take advantage of options for redemption, such as pretrial diversion, certainly makes the system move more efficiently. But you also draw a hard line at certain points in a case. When your evidence is as strong as it is in this case, you have serious violence in a domestic relationship, and you don't need the testimony of the victim, you move forward and if need be go to trial.

No domestic violence prosecutor I know would shy away from taking this case to trial, if need be.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I predict a season-ending knee injury for Rice by Week 5.

Draft saved Draft deleted