1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

THE RAAIDAHS! The real ones.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This could be a cosmic DB, but the NFL network is showing its Super Bowl champion feature on the 1976 Raiders, and holy cow is it great. Basically, Phil Villapiano just confessed to war crimes. It's half over now, 9:30 EST, and I urge all football fans to check out the remainder.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Watching it now, and Villipiano is great.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Villipiano still looks like a badass and talks a good game, though I think he needs to be reminded that other than 1976, the Steelers got the better end of that particular rivalry. :)

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

For those of us without NFL Network--that would be 97.6 percent of America--can you summarize what exactly Villipiano did?

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Used cast-like weapons disguised as tape on his arms and hands. Designed by team trainer.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

That was one hell of a rivalry, those Steelers and Raiders. I lived outside of Pittsburgh from '78 on, and I remember how crazy people got for those games. Terrible Towels everywhere.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I defy anyone who watched that to tell me the game is more interesting today.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

It's not so much the game but those who played it that were vastly more interesting. There are very few characters left in the NFL, just arrogant assholes and corporate shills.

9. the fop

the fop Member

Villapiano also was great on HBO's "Rebels of Oakland" about the 1970s Raiders and A's. (I'm biased because I grew up out there on those teams, but check it out if you get a chance, it works its way into HBO's rotation every few months.) Villapiano talks about how he'd tell his wife he dreaded training camp, but how it was really a nonstop party for the Raiders.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Professional fooball in America is a special game. Played nowhere else in the world, it is a unique game. The Men Who Play It, make it so.

Ahem.

It must also be noted that the only time those Raiders beat Pittsburgh was when Hariis and Blier were out for that 1976 AFC title game. Otherwise, Oakland lost AFC title games at a bad clip that decade. Starting in 1968, I think they lost in 68, 69, 73, 74, 75 and 77. But what a cast of characters; I can't get enough of their stories.

11. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

What number is the (cue Alec Baldwin voice-over) "America's Game" countdown on now?

Personally I think the 1983 LA Raiders should be a lot higher than No. 20. Can anyone else back me up?

The manpower:Marcus Allen (Hall of Fame running back), All-Pro caliber players at other offensive positions (Cliff Branch at WR, Todd Christensen TE), a two-time Super Bowl winning QB (Jim Plunkett), Howie Long and Ted Hendricks on the D-Line, together with two of THE BEST corners of their era (Lester Hayes and Mike Haynes).

The record: 12-4 regular season, two blowout wins the playoffs, a Super Bowl 38-9 demolition of Redskins team - the defending SB champs - that had set a record for most points in the regular season.

The countdown competition: No. 19 is, ghhehh (Keith Olbermann voice), the 1999 St. Louis Rams. PUH-LEASE. Their marquee players were limited to the offense only, their Super Bowl competition was decidedly ordinary, they played in a weak NFC West, and I see two HOF'ers tops (Marshall Faulk and Tory Holt) on that roster.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And don't forget the conference semifinals (whatever they called it then) in 1972. Please remind Madden about that one. He's STILL pissed about the Immaculate Reception.

Draft saved Draft deleted