1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The quiet in Newtown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jun 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Anyone who is pinning their hopes on any government to provide healing after a tragic event is out of their mind.

2. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Yes. Their first grader was gunned down. They are out of their minds.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So they seem healthy to you? They're taking great care of their two remaining children?

I don't wish what they've gone through on anyone, but if they don't pick up the pieces, they'll be ruining their lives and the lives of their two other kids. And the damage will be irreparable. They're not the first set of parents to ever lose a kid. Sadly, it happens every day.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Can we cut these parents a break? I can't think of any more traumatic way and time to lose, well, anyone. Yes, they need to pick up the pieces the best they can, but even in the best of circumstances there is going to be lasting, irreperable damage to everyone involved. I'm sure that part of the reason they got into the political end was a genuine desire to find a way for this not to happen to someone else, and because it at least provided a glimmer of hope of some positive way to get through this.

5. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

I agree with you, Bob. My issue was more with the writer joining the grief with their political hopes. I'm sorry, even if sweeping gun control was passed, if it was made illegal to own a firearm in this country, these people still have a hole in their lives that will never be filled. I thought the gun control angle cheapened the overall picture that was being painted.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I have no idea if they're healthy or not. All I know about them is what I read in that story.

I'm not a grief counselor, so I don't have the standing to suggest where they should be in the healing process. Obviously, though, you know something about them that I don't, so I'll defer to your judgment.

7. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Can I ask what was so objectionable about my last 2 posts? Or was it just a knee-jerk reaction because of the poster (which comments aren't too far removed from some of the ones already here).

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Their chances of getting healthy are a lot less because of the despicable people who used them as political pawns.

I don't blame the parents at all. They were incredibly vulnerable. I blame the politicians who would use these shattered people for an agenda they had long before Sandy Hook. The parents need help moving on with their lives. They need help dealing with incredible loss.

Instead, activists enlisted them and filled them with false hopes that getting involved with a cause would help ease their pain. Then they felt even more pain when the promised legislation failed to pass. The parents will be left to go back to their shattered lives having put off actually dealing with their grief and moving forward for months or even years.

And I second dog's question. This is not a political post. If it is, then this is a political thread and delete the whole thing.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I thought it was an essential part of the story, in that the family was involved with this. I don't think the family was dragged into this against their will.

The point, to me, of that was to show that their one public way of trying to cope, of trying to make sense of this, wasn't working. If you substituted "mental health care" for "restrictions on gun magazines," it would have been the same difference. It's there to illustrate their growing realization that for the rest of us, life moves on, while for those directly involved, it doesn't -- and that it's incredibly difficult to deal with the idea that everybody else moves on.

10. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

I talked about the process of coping and how it seemed too much of it was dependent on people who are driven by money and votes, not the human experience. Not at least in great enough numbers to stand on principle above pennies.

And I posed the question of whether they were people at faith, because it seemed the other two I spoke of were finding some peace in their pain. I don't see the peace in those people at all, and that in itself is tragic.

Again, what the hell is the problem with those sentiments?

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What the fuck does that have anything to do with what I posted?

The government heals nothing. Never has, never will.

12. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

That's what I can't imagine. When all the public spectacle goes away, these families are left alone to look at an empty spot at the dinner table.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.