1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The quiet in Newtown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jun 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Might belong on journalism board, I don't know. What I do know is Eli Saslow is ridiculously good

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/after-newtown-shooting-mourning-parents-enter-into-the-lonely-quiet/2013/06/08/0235a882-cd32-11e2-9f1a-1a7cdee20287_story.html?hpid=z1

2. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

It was a well-written piece.

3. JR

JR Active Member

Read this about three times over the weekend. Heard about if first on Twitter

It's an extraordinary piece of writing and reporting.

The breakfast scene is excruciatingly gut wrenching.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The day-to-day experience of this poor family trying to survive after their son was killed was thoroughly sobering and depressing.
    Reading how the political sausage is made when the dad goes to Delaware is pretty damn depressing as well.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I am resisting reading it as I do not need to have the horror and the thought if it was my kids enter into my over active imagination.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Normally I feel that way, too, but I forced myself to read it. I think parents need a major gut check now and again, and this was certainly that.

After an hour of on-and-off sobbing, I felt new resolve on so many different levels.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Especially as it becomes clearer to the parents, as they see politicians do nothing and even actively try to avoid meeting them, that their son truly died in vain.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

One of the most powerful stories I've read in a long time.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

"Died in vain"? Really? The purpose of his death was to institute gun control?

This is an incredibly sad story. On top of 20 innocent children and six innocent adults being killed, the lives of those left behind are forever changed. The family in that story seems to be on such an unhealthy path that things are going to get worse and worse for them. Six months later, and neither the mom or dad have returned to work. Whatever grief counseling they're getting is not working.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm not saying the purpose of his death was to institute gun control, and I didn't mean it as something solely political. I was referring to how, clearly, the parents were hoping that some shred of good could come out of it, somehow. And it's clear that nothing will, and perhaps it's too much for anyone to ask that there is some silver lining to something so horrible.

Even if somehow the family found some silver lining, I still don't know that there would be enough grief counseling in the world to get you over this. One thing the story powerfully tells is how there is no way to hide from what happened. Other kids in the school get to celebrate birthdays in public.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Eli Saslow talks about reporting and writing the story.

http://www.niemanstoryboard.org/2013/06/10/whys-this-so-good-no-78-eli-saslow-and-after-newtown/

12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Fantastic story. Really brings home the completeness of the tragedy. What I mean is, it goes beyond 26 killed to their families and friends and the lives those people will live now. Outstanding writing and reporting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.