1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The push for a new Islanders arena needs more cowbell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jul 20, 2011.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

An election on a Monday???

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

THANK GOD there still are some sensible people around. If I had a drink in my hand, I'd offer a toast to the voters and their abundance of common sense.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I haven't followed this closely

Is Brooklyn an option? Can the Rangers prevent them from moving there?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The proponents were hoping the opposition wouldn't notice. Obviosly, it didn't work.

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Agreed. Nassau County has some of the nation's highest property taxes. Taxpayers should not be funding arenas and stadiums. Owners have plenty of money that they'd otherwise waste on some free-agent boondoogle. Build your own.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I don't know how realistic it is, but the territorial rights were modified in the mid-'80s allowing the Islanders to move into Brooklyn or Queens.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I read a development agreement once for a minor league stadium in California and the developer got 50 cents on every dollar collected on parking tickets around the proposed stadium even though the developer was not doing anything to write/enforce the tickets.

That little snippet reminds me to never, ever support a publicly funded stadium.

Draft saved Draft deleted