1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Proposed 18 Game NFL Schedule

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Oct 1, 2010.

1. printit

printit Member

Does anyone know if the 2 byes proposal is part of the 18 week schedule? When the NFL brought byes into the league some years back they adopted a 2 bye system. If I recall correctly, TV hated it because too many good teams had byes during a given week and there weren't enough good match ups.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The double bye completely fucked up fantasy leagues, too!

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

This. A couple of years ago, I was watching a Winnipeg game on an America One station and I saw Corey Banks playing. Juco and South Carolina quarterback. In the CFL, he plays linebacker.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

From what I remember from the two-bye season, there were weeks where there were as many as eight teams with byes. In a then-30 team league, giving eight byes meant that there were only nine games available to be televised on Sunday afternoon. And too many of them were duds that had to be shown to huge chunks of the country because there was nothing else to give them.

I feel that the NFL loathes the idea of playing on Labor Day weekend enough that the season still won't start until the week after. So it would seem that a 20-week, 18-game season would end the last weekend of January. Then you have wild-card weekend, divisional playoff weekend, conference semifinals, conference championships, Pro Bowl week and the Super Bowl.

If that schedule were already in effect, this year's Super Bowl would be on March 13.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That will never happen.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I think the NFL is throwing a bone to the colleges by letting them have the Labor Day weekend stage to themselves.

I wonder if we will see a reduction in the number of players invited to camp in the first place if the shorter season goes through. With fewer games, there should be less players to look at, one would think. This might even help the CFL and arena leagues.

That said, this is a bad idea in so many waysl. A blatant cash grab that will only lead to more, and more serious, injuries. YMMV.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

NFL really doesn't want it. LDW audience isn't focused . . . they're busy doing
    other trivial, pathetic things, like spending meaningful time with their families.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

On the bright side, the longer schedule could move the date of the Super Bowl to the day before President's Day, thereby making it National Hangover Day off and improving our economic productivity significantly.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Or, move the schedule to the middle of August, and use Labor Day weekend as a universal bye for everyone. Then the Super Bowl would be at the end of February.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The NFLPA has power; it simply has no clue how to use it. And you are 100 percent correct: too many players (and this is not limited to the NFL) have never saved a dime.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

What? That's the dumbest thing I've heard since someone said Hendrix was overrated.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

How far in advance do they have to announce the mandatory off days for players? The gamblers would have heart attacks.

Draft saved Draft deleted