1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Proposed 18 Game NFL Schedule

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Oct 1, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Does this mean the price for Sunday Ticket will increase? Dammit.

I'm all for more football, though.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

One thing the players union ought to demand in negotiations is that new stadiums be built next to hospitals because there's going to be a steady stream of traffic.

It's a terrible idea. When will we learn that more isn't necessarily better?

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sorry, but there is something to be said for oversaturation.

It's impossible to develop an appetite for a sport when the sport never stops playing. It's impossible to view this game as meaningful if there are 17 (or 81 or 161) more of them.

Mizzou complains that there "really isn't much" sports to watch between the All-Star Game and start of NFL.

Well, there's baseball. That's its season. Do we need a 12-month overlap of the four major sports? And you still have the British Open and auto racing and the U.S. Open for tennis . . . all between the All-Star Game and NFL. Sometimes you have the World Cup. Or the Olympics. That's really not enough?

Every sport needs a shorter season --- every one. That goes for tennis, golf and NASCAR.

Instead, there will come a day when we have 48 NFL teams playing a 24-game schedule that begins Aug. 1 and ends on Feb. 28.

Not at all.

It would increase anyway. Always has. Always will.

I paid $128 for 17 weeks in 1998. 17 weeks today would cost $300. Uh, I'll get by without having access to Panthers vs. Raiders, but thanks..

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Fuck baseball. :D

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Hate it.

Largely because it's not like we have 20 great teams to watch in the NFL. Or even 15 for that matter.

Most of the time, about 30-40% of the games are worth me investing more than an hour of my time.

And now we are going to have TWO MORE WEEKS in December where the "good" teams rest their starters and every 6-8 slappy will try to squeak into the playoffs?

Sure it is printing more money...

I'll use the muffin analogy. The NFL will be selling more muffins but using the same amount of batter.

That is a dangerous road to go down.

Especially now -- when they have trouble selling out in some cities with a 16-GAME schedule.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They are protecting the quarterbacks because they are supposed to be the league's stars, thus they help draw in more viewers and make more money.

They are adding rules to protect players in general so they can look like they give a shit about player safety, thus making the league more palatable to fans, so more will watch and the league can make more money.

They are talking about going to 18 games because they can't sell preseason games to television. If they have two more regular-season games to sell, they can make more money.

Notice the common ground?

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The players have no bargaining chips in the upcoming negotiations. The negotiations are going to be a replay of the 1940 NFL title game, and the NFLPA is the Redskins.

There will (probably a full season), but as always the owners will win.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes, OOP....GREED!

And this move will backfire on the NFL big time. More serious, career-threatening injuries, shorter careers for star players, more bad football games.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'd rather they keep it 16 and set up a respectable pension for the former players.

And I'm a heartless, business-first conservative Republican. :)

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, it's all about greed. Always has been. I just think they are better at making these greedy decisions work than any other sport.

And maybe, just maybe, if the NFLPA ends up showing a backbone this time around, this could be a bargaining chip for the owners. Make it go away so they can get other things they want.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Good luck with that. The NFL owners are going to bust the union into little bitty pieces (as are the NBA and MLB owners in their upcoming strike/lockouts).

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This is a terrible mistake.

The only way to offset it would be shortening the games so the players play the same amount of minutes.

When will the season start? July?

Draft saved Draft deleted