1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Professor of Rock

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Dec 25, 2020.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

They never really wrote together. Noel has sole credit for the vast majority of their songs.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

But Liam's songs are quite good.

Songbird is as good as any Oasis song.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I assumed facts not in evidence. I renounce and rescind my previous nomination.

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

The dudes from Abba would have to be on the list of best pairs since Lennon/McCartney.

Also, Hall & Oates turned out a ton of great stuff.

Rodgers and Edwards are best known for their work with Chic, but they penned a lot of great funk and soul for a lot of other artists.

I Should Coco likes this.
  5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Hard to believe anyone beats John/Taupin on this list. So many big hits.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

"Music by Lee and Lifeson. Lyrics by Peart."

:)

tapintoamerica likes this.
  7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Those fawning fuckers deserve to be flogged.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Edge is the main musical mover in U2, so most of their songs are functionally Edge-Bono compositions (or Evans-Hewson if you wanted to get legal about it).

REM really did split the melody writing three ways pretty equally: Bill Berry surprisingly had a lot to do with the music, Peter Buck was big on guitar riffs, and Mike Mills did a lot of the vocal arrangements.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Sumner/Hook ffs

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Am I the only person who thinks the Edge is a wildly overrated guitarist? He sucks technically. His playing is so simple.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No, you're not nearly the only one. "The Edge sucks" has been a favorite refrain of music snobs (especially hard core metalheads) for 30 years. Almost on par with "Bono is an egotistical poser, etc etc."
    The Edge ain't Jimi Hendrix. He's good at what he does. Not everybody likes what he does.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

There's this.

And this.

And some group in which is some combination of Banks, Collins, Gabriel, Hackett and Rutherford are listed on the album liners. Don't let the Phil and 1A jokes on the board throw you off. The guys can write and play some pretty good stuff.

Now ... back to the hot takes ...

Huggy and I Should Coco like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted