1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Problem of Felon Disenfranchisement

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Jul 16, 2012.

1. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Is this message brought to you by "Felons for Gore"? :)

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2012/jun/05/bill-nelson/bill-nelson-compares-rick-scotts-voter-purge-2000-/

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I can't remember the Florida State player a few years back who got caught in that "insider theft" bit at a local mall, but as I recall he was prepared to cop to a felony plea and a suspended sentence just so he could get back to playing football as early as possible. I remember thinking highly of Bobby Bowden when he (Bowden) told the kid to forget it, playing football wasn't worth a felony hit on your record.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

uhm ya missed that little world "nonexistent" in there, eh?

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Naaahhh..

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Since when are felons a protected class? What the hell? Unconstitutional to discriminate against them? Absolutely not. Bad public policy? Maybe.

I think the path toward restoring rights to felons should be a little bit easier so that those who are reforming themselves can have a chance at full citizenship again. But there's no way you can make a seriously valid argument that it's not OK to discriminate against felons.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Are every single one of those 1 in 35 innocent?

8. Armchair_QB

I really have a hard time as seeing this as a problem.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

One problem is there isn't uniform rule across the country.

10. printit

printit Member

The word "felon" used to mean something when it was used to describe the worst of the worst (murder, rape, robbery, etc.) Now we label people as felons when they use small amounts of drugs, fall a few thousand dollars behind on child support, write bad checks over a few hundred dollars, misuse prescription medicine, etc. There needs to be a third classificication, a middle ground between misdemeanor and felony to capture people who do things that are bad, but really not that bad.

11. Armchair_QB

Why is that a problem? It's a states' rights issue.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Thank you, Strom Thurmond.

And I favor the disfranchisement of Donald Sterling.

Draft saved Draft deleted