1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The price of Justice

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Yesterday Greenbrier East High School in won the W.Va Class AAA state girls' basketball title.
    http://www.wvgazette.com/Sports/PrepSports/201203100144

The Spartans finished the year 26-1. They are coached by BILLIONAIRE Jim Justice, the man who owns the Greenbrier Resort and landed the PGA Tour to event, the Greenbrier Classic.
    Justice also coaches the boys team, which was eliminated in sectional play last week.

The elephant in the room: East has three players who transferred into the school from out of state, two from a prep school in Knoxville, Tn., one of whom is the frosh daughter of former MLB pitcher Atlee Hammaker. They have another girl from nearby Roanoke and another from nearby Beckley, East's rival.

Even if you buy the argument that everybody recruits, it's hard to compete with the job Justice has done. He can single-handedly create jobs for parents. For example, Hammaker is a "consultant" for the Greenbrier.

Justice is a very nice man and he's generous. But he has his flaws. His pursuit of a state title being one of them.

Earlier this year, he had his daughter's number retied this year. She is the first girl in school history to have that done. Only two other players in school history have that honor, one is former Olympian and NBA player Bimbo Coles, the other is Warren Baker, a state legend in his own right.
    No. She was not that good.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

When will someone hit the second grand slam in ASG history?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I hate states that only count three high school grades for enrollment as opposed to all four. You could have one class only counted once and another above or below it counted twice, which could skew its classification either way.

Side rant over.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Related to the above, Hundred (W. Va.) High School has an enrollment of 101. Slight fail?

5. It took me 20 minutes to get this reference.
    I was stepping in the shower when it clicked.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And where it was hit.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

WVA HS bball needs a salary cap.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Somewhere in the Journalism Board archives I have a thread titled "The Cult of the Coach," in which I ranted at length about game stories and features that are about nothing else but the coach.

This story is a fine example. The story is about the glory of the coach. The lead quote was a long gasbag soliloquy by the coach. There is one quote from a player who actually played in the game. The quote, of course, is about the coach.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Of all the hobbies a rich guy could have, this one is pretty lame.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Bet his daughter disagrees.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I bet she's rebellious and hates him for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted