1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The price of college textbooks ... wow

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 23, 2008.

1. JLaff

JLaff Guest

Last year, I paid $90 and change for a kinesiology textbook that I never opened. Stayed in the back of my car the entire semester. The professor put every lecture on PowerPoint, then uploaded those slides online. I sold it back for around $50. Textbooks are an amazing ripoff, especially with the ones that come out with a new edition every year or two because they replaced a comma. A lot of profs at my school are creating readers now, that, while they are a little cheaper than a textbook, are not able to be sold back. I'm so glad this is my last semester.

2. Hottest decapitated chick ever.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

She wasn't decapitated, dammit! Just scalped. :p

4. Either way, it's a shame what happened to Jayne.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

When I went back to school to get my bachelor's in English, it would take me several weeks before I could rustle up enough money to pay for REQUIRED textbooks for class. And this was back in the late 1990s, long before the current spike in textbook costs.

It's making me reconsider ever going back to school to get a master's degree in anything.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

:)

7. I'm only 22, but I've had the same bed and mattresses since I was old enough to move from the crib to a bed. So I've never slept on anything bigger than a twin bed. Can't wait to get married -- get to sleep in an oh-so-gloriously comfortable QUEEN bed.

I could have story after story on college books, but it's simply depressing. After I dropped $600 bucks the first two semesters of college, I learned not to EVER buy a book until I found out if I really needed it, then I'd be all over the internet. I was tired of being stuck with the $140 Biology book and getting $20 back.

It was worse being a History minor, because at my small college, most of the classes were ones dealing with professors' specialties, and they would only teach them in the Fall or Spring, never back to back. So when you went to sell your book back, they wouldn't take it.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

UT charges that much for coloring books? Wow.

9. i shelled out $900 for a queen last year. priced down from $3,000 on the final day of the going-out-of-business sale at the furniture store. trust me, best money ever spent, even though half the bed never gets used.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

did a full-scale brass for about 10 years. it's in the garage, and i now can touch the floor when i sleep. don't sell the basic approach short.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've earned the right to pay $2,000-plus for a bed, dammit.
    I just haven't earned the $2,000-plus.

12. KG

KG Active Member

I'm paying $2500 for a mattress. Luckily it has a really long warranty, like 20 years or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted