1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Price Is Right???

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by casty33, Dec 25, 2013.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Holy shit, yes. Be cool if someone grabbed Drew Carey's microphone and said, "People, shut up!"

But there are still magical moments on the show, like when some idiot bids $1, and the next person bids $2, pissing off the person who bid $1. I even saw a $1, $2, $3 sequence once.

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Some of my favorite contestants have been those who stare at shouting audience members like cows at a passing train, then bid $949 when someone else has already bid $950. I love those contestants, because they make me feel so smart.
    casty, I think the problem you're describing far pre-dates Drew Carey. But you're right, it is annoying.
    If I were on the show, I would want to play 10 Chances. The prices all end in 0, so I would win the car no sweat.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Male models on TPIR? Fucking travesty. No idea who these guys are but they can't take the place of Johnny Olsen or Rod Roddy (RIP to both) who occasionally got to cavort with Barker's Beauties during the showcases.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Part of what made the show so funny was Bob Barker taking it totally seriously, dealing with Ethel/Bertha/Helga from Duluth as if they were all negotiating a nuclear weapons reductions pact or something and were VIPs. Drew Carey is way too casual.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

There is an art to landing on a game show as a contestant. I may not have many discernible or marketable skills but I have appeared on two nationally-televised game shows, winning a sizable amount of money of one of them.

When going into a "mass contestant situation", dumb luck plays a part but try and be a little "on edge", smile at the producer, make eye contact with the producers, be energetic and quick-witted but not the Tasmanian Devil. Don't be afraid to be a little "out there" but show that you can reel it back in and be serious when needed.

In one of the game shows, there were 11 of us in a green room, competing for thousands of dollars on the next taping. Watch the caffeine intake in the room was part of the gamesmanship. You wanted enough caffeine to be on edge and thinking fast but not too much.

6. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

The Tasmanian Devil approach worked for Jesse Pinkman.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Other than Bob Barker retiring, the show hasn't changed much since they went to one hour and brought in the bepbeepbeeepbeeeepbeeeeeep spinning wheel. When was that, 1980?

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Count me as one who really quite enjoys the male models. Especially the other day, when he was modeling a speed boat in just a pair of swimming trunks.

Why does all of the eye candy have to be for the men?

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Casty, three years ago, a close friend went on the show. He had his side fling with him. She was picked and the camera naturally caught him. His girl friend's mother saw the show, called up her daughter and told her about his appearance. She is now his ex-girl friend.
    Oh as for the fling, she didn't make it on stage and he's still dating her on occasion.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Gives a whole new meaning to "COME ON DOWN!"

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

LOL. Yeah, it definitely does.

Draft saved Draft deleted