1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Price Is Right???

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by casty33, Dec 25, 2013.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I used to enjoy watching the show but I find myself turning it off early these days. It's not Drew Carey's fault but it's the totally overdone celebrating for everything. I can't take the constant jumping up and down, screaming, falling on the floor etc. I don't remember that happening too often when Barker was there. I know this is rather insignificant but does anybody else have these feelings or is it just me showing my age?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Haven't watched it since they broke up that Murderer's Row of Barker's Beauties: Janice, Dian and Holly.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Style fail. Thread title should be Kill Your Idols: The Price is Right

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What turns me off now is how everyone in the audience has customized T-shirts on, usually with some version of "PICK ME!!!"

Everyone used to wear normal clothes, and if someone had a customized shirt, it was actually a cool thing. Now it's ridiculous.

5. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

This.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Along the lines of what Casty was saying, I think it's become far too much of a hipster/ironic thing. Instead of housewives who are thrilled to win a new bedroom set or car, it's a bunch of college age goofs who are happy they'll be able to post a picture on Facebook where they're playing Plinko.

And an enthusiastic second to Huggy's comment.

7. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Janice always seemed too high-maintenance for my pre-teen tastes. Dian was the queen of my world and Holly seemed like she'd be a lot of fun in a hot-girl-next-door kind of way.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

None of them members of the Bob Barker Fan Club, of course.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Part of the problem is the producers want people who are loud and garish. They think it makes for better TV in an increasingly ADD world. So unless you're a sweet little old lady, better be prepared to run all over the stage and whoop like a crazy person at the slightest provocation.

10. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

I've always hated, and this goes back to the early shows through current day, the people that can't think even a bit for themselves. Stand there staring out into the crowd, trying to interpret what their posse wants them to bid. Some of them to the extent of holding up fingers and/or mouthing the numbers back to them. Irritating.

11. casty33

casty33 Active Member

You all have it so right, and Huggy is correct about the change in the fact that they now even have men as models. That just seems wrong to me. I blame the producers who are trying to make an excellent game show into reality TV. Too bad.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted