1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Price is Exactly Right

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Dec 17, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

We're not?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

TPIR hasn't been the same since they broke up that Murderer's Row of Barker's Beauties: Janice, Dian and Holly.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Had to be done, though. Between them and Barker's pleas for spaying and neutering, kittens were becoming an endangered species.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Agree 100%.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I had a big crush on Holly. What a smile.

6. T2

T2 Member

Hollywood insider Mark Evanier, on his http://www.newsfromme.com/ website, offers a more detailed version of what bydesign77 relayed to us. I quote:

There was a fellow in the audience — a guy named Ted who is a devout Price is Right fan. He watches the show every day and either takes notes on or memorizes the prices. As you might imagine, the program sometimes gives away the same prize more than once. Throughout the show, Ted was shouting out, as folks in the audience do, suggestions to the contestants on stage who are guessing prices.

This particular showcase consisted of goodies that had appeared on past shows. Ted knew the prices, did a quick bit of addition and yelled out the right answer. On stage, the contestant (Terry) heard him and gave Ted's answer as his guess. It is not known if Ted and Terry knew each other or not. As it turned out the price was exactly right.

On The Price is Right, the showcase contestants give their guesses, then the show goes to commercial and when they come back, the winner is announced. This time, the pause for commercial lasted 30-45 minutes. Taping halted as the show's staff, recognizing that an exact, seemingly impossible "guess" had been made, became concerned that something might not be Kosher.

As you may remember, there was once a gentleman named Michael Larson who did the "impossible" on another CBS game show, Press Your Luck. Mr. Larson had figured out a pattern in the game board and, quite legally, exploited it to win more than $110,000 on a show where wins of under $10,000 were the norm. There was a long tape stop and inquiry before that show's producers decided no rule had been violated. When they did, taping resumed and the "win" was certified.

The same thing happened here. The reason Drew Carey's reaction was so subdued is that during the 30-45 minute discussion, he was told what had happened and had participated in the debates as to how it should be handled. He, like the show's producers, felt that the win seemed wrong in some way, with particular emphasis on the other contestant's situation. She made a great bid, apparently with no assistance, but she lost...to a guy who was given the answer. Still, that's how it works on The Price is Right. The audience shouts out numbers all the time and there's no rule that disqualifies a contestant if they use one of those suggestions and it turns out to be correct.

There's no word from within the show as to whether this will prompt any rule changes. Probably not since it's part of the fun that the audience participates like that. What they may do though is keep Ted out of the building. I hope Terry gave him a cut of the showcase.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

After the famed Richard Larson Press Your Luck episode, the producers of that program randomized the board (CBS also never allowed that particular episode to be shown in reruns/syndication).

Not sure if you can really do much with TPiR, other than to use different prizes that your contestants/audience won't have the opportunity to memorize.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Here are three things I believe have never been written before, together, on SportsJournalists.com

1. Holly Hallstrom
    2. Pearl Necklace
    3. Safe for work

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Damn, I only read the first two things.....tease....

10. donnie23

donnie23 Member

Speaking as a former TPIR contestant, I'd like to ask:

WHERE THE HELL WAS TED WHEN I GOT ON STAGE?!?!?!?

I still have nightmares ... a $35 coffee press when everyone in the audience was screaming $20 ... a $15 Spin Spa when everyone screams $35 or $40 ... yes, clearly, Ted took the day off to talk to squirrels at the park while I lost Spelling Bee and my chance at a BRAND NEW Dodge Caliber. (Ted couldn't have helped me, however, when I went first and spun 80 cents, only to first be tied at 80 and then knocked out by a one-spin 85 by the last girl.)

That vented, here's what I can say about this guy just randomly hearing Ted's guess:

1) It's next to impossible to hear any one person in the audience when you're up there. It just sounds like an angry mob.

2) Assuming you COULD hear one person, if Ted really did shout out some crazy exact guess, it would stick out like a sore thumb and get your attention.

3) TPIR should never, ever try to stop people from shouting out guesses. The show wouldn't feel nearly the same. When I was up there, having hundreds of people calling out their crazy guesses was both nerve-wracking and a lot of fun.

Sigh ... at least I have the stylish Ridgeway Victoria II grandfather clock (average retail price: $2,200 ... I bid $1,500 without the help of that dirty bastard Ted) in my living room to show for my Ted-less effort.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Has someone ever spun the wheel so hard that they fell underneath it? And would they ever show that?

12. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

The first link is incredible. One of the few times something on youtube has really made me laugh. Bob's reaction is priceless...the show really isn't the same without him.

Draft saved Draft deleted