1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Price is Exactly Right

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Dec 17, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

But if you're going to rig it up like that why not pick a less random number? That was a weird ending though.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I used to love the mountain climber game with that yodeling, hoping like hell he would tip over and crash.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's what I thought, too. It was way too anticlimactic -- and much too rare -- for him not to be suspicious. I don't believe he got that honestly.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm fucking crying right now, laughing about this.

Old Bob would get so damn pissed off as he tried to lead the morons through this game. Great TV!

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Holy shit, Carey is godawful.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

He seemed like the right fit for the job, or at least better than all the other names being thrown out there. But he's been awful from day 1, and it's pretty obvious it's not going to get better for a long time, if ever. At the point, I'd take Rosie over him -- at least she shows some fucking emotion.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I watched Drew on TPIR once. That was enough. Sleepwalking in Louie Anderson on Family Feud-esque proportions.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

That's the first clip I've seen of Drew doing the PIR. I refuse to watch anything without Barker. He WAS that show. It was like Match Game without Gene Rayburn.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Ouch! Match Game with John Salley, Vicki Lawrence and Judy Tenuta as regulars was painful beyond belief. There was actually a Match Game in the early to mid-1960s that was not much like the Rayburn version. The only time I saw it, tho, Jayne Mansfield was a panelist, so it had that going for that (sorry to fulfill a stereotype, but she was awful). The part I like best about the Rayburn Match Game was the fact that some of the panelists actually smoked on air. Talk about a time capsule of an era long gone!

10. KG

KG Active Member

Drew Carry shows about as much enthusiasm as Johnny Depp during much of his Willy Wonka movie. It's just a bunch of fake and unconvincing smiles.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

old man perrywinkle ...

12. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

That guy also got the price of his prize on contestants' row exactly right. And he had the same clueless gaze going during contestants' row that he had during the showcases before pulling a perfect bid out of thin air. I'd have loved to have seen what he'd done if he had to bid on all the trips. There's no way you can pull all those prices off an iPhone in the crowd that quickly.

The whole thing reminds me of an episode a few years ago, where this creepy looking guy got called down. First prize he bids on, he throws out a wacky price without even hesitating. Bob gives him a sideways look and asks how he came up with that number. The guy responded that he had memorized the price of every prize on the show. All the bidding finishes, the bell sounds to indicate someone has a perfect bid and Bob deadpans: "Oh, one of you has the price exactly right.... AND I WONDER WHO THAT COULD BE."

Guy, of course, nailed the prices in his on-stage game, but he lost on the wheel. I really wanted to see what he could do in the showcase. I'm pretty sure he was legit.

Draft saved Draft deleted