1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Price is Exactly Right

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Dec 17, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I wonder if anyone wearing Broncos gear is even allowed in the audience.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The best Barker was him getting exasperated when someone would bollox up High-Low. And the mountain-climbing song...as hard to get out of the head as Baby It's Cold.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Holy shit ... the way you described Bob and how he would have done it is almost exactly the way I envisioned it before I read your post.

By the way ... sucks for that lady. That was a helluva bid by her too.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

$1,000!

Lower

$750!

Higher

$700!

HIGHER!

Uh ... $1,000!

Stop the clock. Hold on! Stop the clock! Can you hear me?

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Rumple that first one was painful to watch. Bob's reaction at the end is awesome.

6. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

I'll bid $420, Drew

7. KG

KG Active Member

You had to go there didn't you?
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wow... talk about unenthused...

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I was reading the comments below the clip and one person pointed out something that you probably didn't think of, but I did, being a game show veteran.

According to the poster:

"While it is legal to hear bid ideas from audience members, on that taping, CBS Standards and Practices and host Drew Carey were both suspicious of some audience members during the bidding. As a result, there was a 45-minute stopdown between the Showcase presentation and reveal on that taping. Some in the audience noted Carey's reveal was related to the suspicion that the production staff had on the win."

When I was on the Wheel, if an audience member had shouted out anything during any puzzle, it would have been thrown out and a new one put into it's place. However on TPIR, you CAN get advice from the audience, since technically, they're all potential contestants on the show. So, I'm sure, while taking the break between the bid and the reveal, there was much debate over the likelihood of this being legit. I mean, come on, it would be one thing if he bid $27,850 and that was it. But to bid such an odd amount? Someone probably sneaked in an iPhone or something and looked up MSRP on all that shit.

So give Drew a break. If there was an hour pause on the taping, and they think but can't prove they've been duped, then no wonder why he wasn't excited.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That certainly raises an interesting possibility.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I came within 3 bucks once.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It DID seem like an awfully random price to have guessed.

Draft saved Draft deleted