1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Presumptuous Sports Illustrated

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Mmac

Mmac Guest

I would immediately cancel even if I was otherwise planning to renew. I hate that sneaky shit.

2. They're just doing that because I just cancelled my subscription.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sneaky crap is all around.

I used to have Orkin pest control service.

They would come the third Monday of the month. I would receive a bill for $42 a week later. Like clockwork.

Until one time when the bill was for $84. $42 for the just-completed service, and $42 for next month's service.

In other words, they basically tried to grab 13 payments in a 12-month period.

They are no longer my pest control provider.

4. It's amazing what under-handed crap even the 'respected' companies do these days.

SI sent me a bill a year ago that looked like it came from the collections department. I call them up and ask WTF? "Oh, that's not a bill," the guys says. "That's marketing."

No that's fucking deception you fucking asshole.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Have not seen the shirt yet. Hoping for a Lambert.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I got a letter from SI hoping I would renew even though they stopped delivering about two-thirds of the way through my subscription. My credit card better not get charged, because I will waste as many cell phone minutes as it takes to get it cleared.

7. caesarsghost

caesarsghost Member

I agree to a certain extent, but I get Rolling Stone for 80 cents an issue. Go ahead and renew it until I tell you to stop.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup. Score another point for ESPN The Magazine.

Oops, wrong thread ...

9. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I got the same thing a couple months back. It was a special DVD for media members. I sent that shit back ASAP and added a note on the card to never again send me something unsolicited. Pieces of crap!

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

The worst is receiving calls from magazines AT work.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Never, ever, ever pay for a magazine subscription with a credit card. Always check the "bill me later" box and send in a check with the bill.

12. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

mlb.com did the same thing to me with the auto renewal on the credit card. I didn't want it renewed because I didn't use it enough, and it didn't work that well on macs. I emailed the subscriptions people a few times and they did nothing. Finally I called and it was resolved, but annoying to have to cancel something you didn't want renewed in the first place.

Draft saved Draft deleted