1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The prank call to the British nurse

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This may have been discussed here previously - I'm just catching up. Did I just hear on TV that the nurse involved killed herself? Yee gawd. Australian DJs called the hospital when Kate was there, pretending to be the Queen and Prince Charles. And the nurse bought it and gave out some information?

Now there's an "investigation." Should there be charges?

I'll look for a link in a bit.

2. Moderator1

http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/dec/9/probe-possible-radio-stations-hoax-call-kates-cond/

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It was rolled into the "Kate Middleton pregnant" thread.

She wasn't actually the nurse who gave out the info. She was the one who answered the call and transferred it, I believe.

4. Moderator1

Still. Just saw a big report on Today - show has been cancelled and people want the DJs charged with someone? Yipes.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would send Prince Harry in on a helicopter gunship to strafe the radio station and call it even.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I am just more stunned you're just now hearing this. :D

7. Moderator1

Oh, I heard about the call but only the basics. Had no idea how involved it had become.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Impersonating Royalty added to trying to gain private medical information about a person? They are in serious trouble.

I know you could call trying to get the medical information "investigative reporting of a public figure," but I think they jumped a pretty big shark here.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard of the suicide until this morning, either. Awful.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Charged with what, exactly?

Why is impersonating "Royalty" any different than impersonating anyone else?

I understand why this woman thought in the immediate aftermath of this that it'd never go away, but seriously, even in this internet world, it'd have been basically forgotten in a month.

No one thought this was such an outrageous prank until after she killed herself. Then all of the sudden the hosts, who had been either kinda stupid or kinda lucky or kinda funny, based on what you thought of the prank, were absolutely horrible. There was nothing malicious about the prank. They didn't mock the woman or anything.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Forgotten in a month? I bet Lindsay Stone is hoping that's the case. When stuff like this happens, you tend to get branded. When this story first broke, I said to myself that this has civil lawsuit written all over it. Somebody has to be held responsible.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, we have a thousands of wacky morning radio hosts around the country doing similar things to less well-known people every day. I hope we're going to crack down on all of them

Draft saved Draft deleted