1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Posey Rules

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, May 26, 2011.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What's safer is walking the run home. It's just as good! Hey, what happened to RickStain?

And you don't change the game. This is part of it.

It's why the short fat kids are catchers and the tall athletic ones are playing the other eight positions, normally.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Posey isn't your father's catcher, and doesn't have his squatty build.

3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Fosse was mentioned in the fifth post in the thread. What, do you guys not read my awesome posts all the way through? I am crushed.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm a Giants fan too, and it was a good hit. That's baseball. It happens. Many have mentioned that the NFL rules have changed to offer the quarterbacks more protection, but even with those, quarterbacks still get hurt. That's football. It happens. I can see why kidball and high school ball and the NCAA have put in the rules they have, but I don't think its possible to write rules covering every possible situation that can come up in a game. That's just life.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Football is impossible to play without heavy amounts of violence. Ditto hockey, boxing, MMA and even basketball to a large extent. This play really doesn't have anything to do with the way baseball is played the other 99 percent of the time. It's just gratuitous.

For those who say that's the way it's always been, yeah, they used to play with nobody wearing a helmet and Don Drysdale throwing at people's heads. The game evolves.

6. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

That's a really silly argument regarding baseball. It doesn't evolve much.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Enough about prepositions.

8. LongTimeListener

There have been all kinds of changes over the year, from a walk going from three balls to four, to the lowering of the mound after the Year of the Pitcher, to the most extreme examples -- after Ray Chapman's death -- of banning the spitball and rotating balls in more often to keep them white and visible. The practice of giving warnings to both benches to keep beanball wars from getting out of hand, I believe that was introduced in the 1980s.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

the hit Eli Manning took in a preseason game vs. the Jets was worse. if his feet were set the hit wouldn't have been so bad. did he even get a concussion? i think every year a few QBs go down with concussions. the thing is that most guys don't look to barrel over the catcher anymore that's also why it made such headlines. yes it was huge hit.

10. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Oh, there have been a few changes in the last hundred years, yes.

But the last substantial rule change, which this would certainly be? I don't even recall. Perhaps lowering the mound qualifies. That was in, what, 1969?

11. LongTimeListener

DH in 1973, but I take your point. I guess I just don't see running over the catcher as an integral part of the game, the kind of thing baseball can't live or would be irreparably altered without.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

it's not really integral but the alternative is what? the catcher has the ball and blocks the plate if you can't barrel into him it's pretty much an automatic out.

Draft saved Draft deleted