1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Posey Rules

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, May 26, 2011.

1. mb

mb Active Member

Marlon Byrd got his face shattered the other day. Maybe we could get rid of pitchers. You know, put the ball on a tee for the hitters.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

What if this happened to Joe Mauer?

Anxiously awaiting James Harrison's tweets on this.

3. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Mauer would have to be in the lineup. Never happen. ;)

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

1) He was moving toward the plate but he was definitely on the side. Cousins could have slid wide to avoid the tag but chose to shoulder Posey.

2) It is not against the rules and not a dirty play under the current setup, but it unnecessarily exposes a player to injury. NFL and NHL players with all their equipment are still not subject to hits that violent and are specifically protected by the rules when they are vulnerable like that. A safety who took a 30-yard run at a receiver and nailed him head-high would be facing a 15-yard penalty and a $75,000 fine.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Maybe MLB should think aboout providing extra safety equipment for catchers.

6. mb

mb Active Member

So the runner should have gone out of his way to try and avoid the contact? In a tie game in the 12th (I think) inning?

And NHL players are absolutely subject to such hits. Runner never left his feet and didn't make contact to the head. And I can't see where it would be illegal in the NFL, either.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If you don't want to get steamrolled, don't block the plate. Pretty simple.

8. LongTimeListener

I think I covered the runner's point of view when I said "it is not against the rules and it is not a dirty play under the current setup." In the NFL, coming up under the chin of a quarterback or receiver is going to draw a flag. Similar contact is called for penalties all the time in the NHL.

I don't know what the solution is to be honest. Maybe it's a matter of degree or a judgment call -- "avoidable" contact or somesuch. Imperfect, but I just can't understand the rationale for putting a player in harm's way with no chance to protect himself. I know someone's going to answer "then don't block the plate," but that's a pretty tough sell when the winning run is about to score and that's what a catcher has been coached to do.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Have the NFL rules changes been talked about on another thread? This one I could go one way or the other, but I'm leaning with the don't block the plate then crowd.

But, the new NFL rules about defensive players not leaving their feet when administering a hit? I got news for you--every stride you take running, you're leaving your feet. Exactly how is someone supposed to make a play on defense now? And it will be loads of fun to see this once enforced by the zebras. This time the NFL's gone way, way too far. Unless their end game is to get to two hand touch or wearing belts with flags on them.

10. LongTimeListener

He was using today's preferred technique of playing the first-base side of the plate and then lunging back. Your statement is the same as telling a quarterback "if you don't want to get hit helmet-to-helmet, move out of the pocket." I know a lot of people still believe that, but the NFL is protecting its players. I'm sure it can be done in baseball.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Let's ask Ray Fosse.

12. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

The situations are in no way comparable.

If Posey takes one large step forward and gives the runner the back of the plate -- and tries a sweep tag after he catches the throw -- the runner can't make contact, and if he does, he's out. The rules already provide 100 percent safe haven. Give the runner the plate, contact not allowed. Block the plate, fair game.

Yes, the catcher has to make this choice in a split second based on the speed of the runner, the deepness of the fly, the arm of the outfielder, etc. But, again: That's baseball.

Draft saved Draft deleted