1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Posey Rules

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, May 26, 2011.

1. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I think, from a media standpoint, this is to some extent a boil-over from the concussion-rich 2010 NFL season (and so many brain-injury revelations from the ranks of the retired NFL players). Injuries are on everyone's mind lately, and I don't think this issue would have had any traction a few years ago. As far as the injury question goes, baseball has many issues to address safety-wise that it has avoided for decades.

I also think the "ohmygosh, he needs to change positions!" arguments are foolish. It's a little early to make this call on Posey, but if Mauer played first base his entire career, 1) does he ever attain superstar/franchise player status, 2) where does he fit in with Morneau positionally, etc., and 3) is his seven-year, $184 contract for $120, $100, or what (assuming he could still get 7 years)? If you view him strictly as a 1B/DH he's highly comparable to John Olerud through the same age, down to the one tremendous outlier season and the solid but not spectacular performance year after year.

Not to mention, Mauer is actually a hell of a catcher. He's not just an amazing offensive catcher, he's a legit defender, thrower, etc.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Didn't see this posted anywhere, apparently Giants GM Sabean went kind of nuts in comments on the Marlins rookie who ran over Posey at the plate:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2011/06/buster-posey-collision-brian-sabean-rips-scott-cousins/1

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's crap. And, it's not like he said it in the heat of the moment.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Sabean should be fined heavily, if not suspended for those remarks.

The kid's receiving death threats, and Sabean is only fanning the flames.

5. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

That.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

My interpretation of Sabean's comments: if the Marlins or MLB doesn't drum Cousins out of the league, we'll do whatever it takes to end this kid's career. And no, Gary Radnich, it doesn't matter if Scott Cousins is the last guy on the roster or a starter. Every baseball player is taught to play hard.

It's the type of comments like that from Sabean that makes me want to tell him and the Giants to shut the fuck up and grow up. The play happened last week and the rule is not going to be changed...not even for Posey. The catcher has more protective gear (shin guards, chest protector, catcher's mask) than anyone on the field not named an umpire. It's not like Posey didn't know the risk of being a catcher.

Collisions are going to happen. Sabean should ask J.T. Snow, when he plowed Pudge at home plate in the playoffs in '03 (Giants vs. Marlins).

Yeah, Posey is their golden goose, but even superstars get injured and is lost for the season. Teams usually find ways to keep playing without that big bat in their lineup.

Posey's agent, the team, and Sabean is making it worse for themselves in the public eye for continuing to not only bitch about it, but to basically ensure that they're going to do something to Cousins to make sure he never plays in the MLB again is chickenshit and embarassing. Shut the hell up.

MLB will never fine or punish Sabean, is my guess. David Stern would have slapped a $1 million fine on the Giants. Honestly, Selig should, but it's clear that MLB isn't going near this story.

Get over it and move on, you fucking babies. You're looking up at Arizona in the NL West standings.

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I think Sabean has managed to make the Cousins the victim, ironically. I haven't seen a single person who felt Sabean was right to say what he said. Way overboard.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The Giants don't play the Marlins again until mid-August, at whatever they hell they're calling Joe Robbie Stadium this week. By then, everyone but the Sabean apologists on the Giants' flagship station will have forgotten what he said ... let's hope.

9. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Play at the plate in the Indians-Rangers game last night. In the second inning Mike Napoli was thrown out at home and Cleveland catcher Carlos Santana (who, by the way, had his season end on a home plate collision last season against the Red Sox) did not even come close to making the tag because he looked a little gunshy. He had the ball in plenty of time but stood over the plate, straddling it, while Napoli slid in under the tag. Ump called him out. Maybe that's what is going to happen, they will start calling it like they do touching second base on the double-play turn...the whole "in the neighborhood" thing...to protect catchers. It was really clear he got in under the tag, but the home plate ump (forgot who) called him safe. There was no argument, so this might be something that is now understood?

Which would suck because, just like the four or five times a year the umps don't give the middle infielder the "in the neighborhood" call, we could now have that leading to actual runs.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Interesting: Napoli is the same guy who slid in under Pena's tag for the winning run against the Royals last weekend.

Draft saved Draft deleted