1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Pope Francis Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Jan 28, 2014.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

In another interview with his longtime atheist friend, Eugenio Scalfari, Pope Francis claims that Hell does not exist and that condemned souls just "disappear."

I think he just visited a newsroom.

mpcincal likes this.
  3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

* In a statement released on Mar. 29, after Scalfari's report garnered worldwide attention, the Vatican said:

"The Holy Father Francis recently received the founder of the newspaper La Repubblica in a private meeting on the occasion of Easter, without however giving him any interviews. What is reported by the author in today’s article [in La Repubblica] is the result of his reconstruction, in which the textual words pronounced by the Pope are not quoted. No quotation of the aforementioned article must therefore be considered as a faithful transcription of the words of the Holy Father."

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that prove the existence of hell?

ChrisLong likes this.
  5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

When an atheist addresses the Pope as "Your Holiness," is that trolling? And can the Pope troll back?

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I want to know more about the attempted walk back on this.
    It looks as if it was published with quote marks.
    If this was not an interview, is the pope pissed that Scalfari published it? Did Scalfari agree to keep it off the record, was it supposed to be no-attribution or deep background?
    If it was an interview, is Scalfari pissed that the pope's people have implied that Scalfari is lying?
    Are the pope and Scalfari still friends after this?
    Is the pope going to comment directly in response to the publication?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

No Highway to Hell, no classic South Park scene with Sadaam, no Trevor Hoffman intro, no Hell's Angels...

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

That's what I thought at first. But I was distracted by "condemned souls just disappear," like your favorite columnist or beat writer.

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

ChrisLong likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted