1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Police -- early Tour dates

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bristol Insider, Feb 12, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Saw them at Comiskey, Synchronicty Tour I guess, headlining some day-long show that included Flock of Seagulls.

I can probably leave it at that.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm trying to picture that bald dork from Flock calling Sting to see if he's interested in doing another double bill.

"Hey Sting, it's bald dork from Flock of Seagulls. Hey man, congrats on the reunion. As you no doubt know, we've been touring non-stop for the last 24 years. We'd love to do another tour with you guys. The band is tight and the fans have been incredibly supportive. They love our new stuff. Are you guys doing new stuff? You guys think you're hot now, the two of us could be the biggest tour of the decade! If you're in town tonight, come check us out at Chris' Crab Shack. We'll be doing three shows--6, 7 and 9. See you there!"

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Will the show include an encore of Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers knocking Sting down and kicking him in the sack?

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Apparently I was in the house for the first concert of that particular (1983) U.S. tour.
    The other acts that day did indeed include the Flock along with the Fixx, Ministry ... and Joan Jett and the Blackhearts:

http://www.scarlet.nl/~gugten/s19830723.htm

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

The key to Sting's motivation for this tour is most likely that his son's band will be the opening act. Called planet zero or some stupid thing. There ya go. Doesn't want little Sting Jr. to live off his father's royalties and get his own life ;-)

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Will the Police even need an opening act on this tour? Sting and boys talked about how there won't be backup singers or anything too elaborate, just the three of them and a solid show. They have more than enough material to go it alone.

As for that weird travel thing from Vegas to Tennessee and back, with three guys playing a festival, they'd have minimal equipment to lug to the festival since they're one of several bands playing. Travel is the only thing to worry about on that, but hopefully it will be a smooth situation. Until I hear the SoCal dates for their shows, I'm still inclined to go to Denver.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

ballscribe, say it isn't so. First Eddie has his son as bassist for the VH reunion tour and then a Sting Jr. band? Ugh. Please Sting, just say NO.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And Sting also wants to make some money that he doesn't have to share with Trudy.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be surprised if the boys add some extra Canadian shows - particularly in Toronto. Like a lot of British bands of the 60s and 70s the Police were big in Canada before they were big anywhere else on this side of the pond.

I know Mr Friend O' is a veteran of at least one Police Picnic (I was at the first one in Oakville)....

Anyone else hit one of those shows?

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Couldn't agree more.

The 1990s, before marriage, were heavy on the concert experience for me, especially reunion shows. Saw the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Page & Plant and Steely Dan, among others. I wrote this on the Nicks thread, and I'll reiterate: I was too young to have seen Fleetwood Mac on tour during the Rumours/Tusk glory days, but that 1997 reunion had to be pretty damn close.

Unfairly overlooked reunion: Traffic. I saw them on the same night as O.J.'s famous run. (We listened to radio coverage in the car in the parking lot of the venue before we finally had to go in. I'll never forget hearing John McKay begging O.J. to turn himself in.)

One of the three best concerts I've been to, and what made it more respectable is that Winwood and Capaldi actually put out an album of new material before the tour, so it wasn't solely a money grab.

I'd love to see the Police, but I don't know if it will be possible for me. Plus, the Phoenix stop is in an arena that is dreadful, concert-wise.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

motherfucker The one tour date here and I'm out of the country.

12. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Hell, the one tour date here and it's the day of our wedding. Dammit!

Draft saved Draft deleted