1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Police -- early Tour dates

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bristol Insider, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Even if that were to happen, can David Gilmour still bring it vocally? I mean, I thought Sting had a bunch of high notes to hit, but Pink Floyd?

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Saw story online that said tickets would range from $50 to $220, P.

And I can't blame the bands for charging what they charge. If scalpers are gonna turn around and sell a $100 ticket for $500, why not just have the band collect the other $400?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Last year - they played a bunch of shows in London and New York.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

They're playing at Fenway, which will rock.

5. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I saw them in their heyday on the Ghost in the Machine tour (w/The English Beat) and on Synchronicity (2nd to last date they played on the tour).

Maybe I'm just getting old, but it's clearly about the moolah here.

6. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Exactly. And they know it. And they know how old their audience is, and how much disposable income they have. So they can basically charge what they want.

Doesn't matter how much money you have. When you're sitting around doin' nothing but sit on that pile and waiting to die (as the two non-Sting members basically are, from a mainstream point of view), you want more. And to get off your ass and hear that roar and pretend that you still matter.

That said, I've ponied up for the Eagles (three times), CSNY (twice), Fleetwood Mac and Simon & Garfunkel and enjoyed every blessed second. You know what you're getting, you know every lyric to every song, and it brings back memories like nobody's business.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I've heard some say that Sting puts on crappy shows. But I saw him when he came to these parts a couple years ago, and I thought he kicked ass for the entire two-hour, two-encore set. I expect that The Police tour will be just as good.

And the call on KISS was a good one. But had they been apart as long as The Police when they came back? I want to say that they hadn't.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Didn't think they were apart that long, Junkie. Thought they'd hung around until the early '80s.

Good point on hanging around too long, too. You figure, these three guys are getting up there, and this probably is their last window to put on a real good, kick-ass tour before checking into the nursing home.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I heard the re-broadcast of the press conference tonight on XM Fred...holy shit. They sounded so good. Like they hadn't taken a single day off. Unbelievable chemistry. To hear them trying to find their way at the beginning of "I Can't Stand Losing You," then to fucking NAIL it, gave me goosebumps.

Though I think Sting is going to kill Copeland.

This is a complete money grab, but so what? I got a kick out of Sting saying he never wanted to do a reunion until a few months ago when he woke up and decided to call the guys. Guess he woke up that morning and said "Holy shit! I'm leaving how many millions on the table?"

I think this is the biggest reunion in memory, because a.) it's the original band and b.) the focal point of the band, Sting, is not that far removed from relevancy. The Eagles had at least two replacement members, if I recall correctly, and Don Henley hasn't done shit solo-wise since 1990. And Glenn Frey hasn't done anything since 1985.

Plus, it seems as if the guys at least like each other. Maybe Copeland is an overeager dork, and maybe they'll fight over the music, but they seem to be fond of one another on a personal level. I never got that from the Eagles. It seems like they really hate each other and are just grinding thru this for the $$$. For a guy who made a career out of bashing the culture of the '80s like Don Henley, that seems just a tad hypocritical.

And, of course, they left at the absolute top of their game. They pulled a Jordan and stayed away...for nearly 25 years. That only adds to the anticipation greeting their return. As Copeland said: The unfinished business is seeing what life is like on the way down.

Cannot wait to see this, and I wasn't even a huge Police fan growing up.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I saw both of those tours but I got Oingo Boingo instead of the Beat.

Saw Sting three times. First time was right after "Dream of the Blue Turtles" came out and he was fantastic. The next two tours he was barely phoning it in; one show was an hour and a half long, and that's counting the 20 minute break he took in the middle of the set.

They sounded great today. I'm guessing this will be a pretty good show, but I'll be skipping it.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Just making sure I'm reading that right. The Police play in Vegas one night, fly cross-country for a next day performance in Tennessee and then fly cross-country again for a show in Phoenix two days later?

I'd kill a concert promoter for doing that to my band -- especially when it's one of the greatest rock bands of all time.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I think it's because Sting usually plays that one festival? Maybe I'm wrong?

Draft saved Draft deleted