1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Police: Certifiable

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Their tickets were more than Metallica, Rush and Van Halen charged last year. They're up there with the Eagles for some venues.

I'm guessing you meant Genesis with the line about another band, but if you want to see something that will make you laugh, check out Rolling Stone's review of Power Windows. The gist is "Now that Rush sounds like the Police, they're actually pretty good! LOVE the U2 influence!"

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/rush/albums/album/322290/review/5943162/power_windows

2. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Saw The Police at Live Earth back in Summer '07. Could have gone without. And I was stone-cold hammered, so those guys were going to get a ton of leeway.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"Now that Rush sounds like the Police"?

Rush is the Police.

Bass-playing singer with an occasionally grating falsetto? Check.
    Outrageously pretentious lyrics? Check.
    Drummer who thinks every song is really an extended drum solo? Check.
    Guitarist who is largely forgotten because of the other two guys? Check.

And, oddly enough, I always liked the Police and have no use for Rush.

And to get back to the topic... I saw the Police phone it in back in '82 and '84. Didn't want to do it again 20+ years later.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

The ticket for the next concert I'm going to cost $10. I've seen this band three times and they put on one of the better shows I've seen.

And the Police suck.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think it's certifiable to expect anything other than a dreck performance out of The Police at this stage of the game. They were never known for bringing it in their prime.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Actually, Piotr, the other group I was referring to was Rush, who was at the same place and charged barely half of what The Police wanted. But Genesis, which wasn't cheap when I went a couple of years ago (shocker, eh?), wasn't as pricey as The Police.

I did read that link. The "Manhattan Project" possessed "Genesis-like grandeur"? Funny, funny stuff. Tony Banks-like synths, yes ... a hallmark of '80s-era Rush and a polarizing experiment to much of its fanbase. But not "grandeur." Still a great track, though I'd take "Marathon" first on that album. Great, great 7/4 bridge and nice fill by Neil going into the final chorus.

The Police should have been as good as Rush. Goodness knows they had the pure musical chops and talent, with the jazz/reggae element as a calling card. But egos sank it before it had a chance to be a serious juggernaut along the lines of Genesis or Rush. And that's a shame.

Draft saved Draft deleted