1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Police: Certifiable

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Airing at the moment on local PBS.
    Now, I am a huge fan of the threesome, a great fan of the music and still in awe of the lyrics. This show, taped from the Buenos Aires concert, though, is disappointing.

The guys were never really the "fun bunch" of the early 80s post-punk pop world, but Summers appears to be the only one remotely enjoying this. Sting is doing a fine job singing, but appears to be very much just going through the paces and Copeland looks just plain pissed to be on stage with Sting again.

Wow. Won't be buying this one on DVD.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Has there been a pledge drive yet?

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well SHIT. I got this on DVD for Christmas, but have been so swamped I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Oh well...really dug their show in '07, so I wanted the DVD.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

BYH: Visually, the DVD is a pretty honest representation of their live show from the last tour. Frozen smiles, Copeland working his ass off, none of them looking each other in the eye.

(wasn't the Police' last show at MSG supposed to be a benefit for public television? Which was how they justified doubling their normal ticket price . . .)

My local PBS had it too. The hosts were OK. The one on the left, Maty something or other, did her best to get into it and show that she knew something about the Police. The co-host, Daisy Torme (yes, his daughter) clearly had no clue, and acted sometimes like she was above listening to that dastardly rock music. Couldn't even get the cue cards straight: "Wow, drummer Andrew Copeland was really working hard there!"

Yes, ANDREW Copeland sends his regards.

On my local PBS, they showed Springsteen's Live in Barcelona right afterward. Local DJ hosted with actor whose biggest role was as the main character in the first season of Earth: Final Conflict. The DJ acted like she was still tripping on a show she saw on the Darkness on the Edge of Town tour, while the actor did his best.

I especially love these pledge drives that say, "Send us 50 bucks, and get this CD!" How about I instead go to Best BUy and spend 10 bucks for the CD?

And I loved when the local DJ said, "Send 40 dollars, and get this CD, the long-awaited new album from Bruce Springsteen, Working on a Dream."

Yes, local DJ. Because it's been AGES since Springsteen put out an album. Maybe this will be a comeback!

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Just another case of a band of people who truly hate each other getting together to make a truckload of money...

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Really weird. In the last 10 minutes or so, Summers and Copeland kind of switched personalities. Copeland was throwing his sticks in the air, grinning from ear to ear, and even reached out for the others' hands first to take a bow -- and Summers turned into the grim one. Maybe time for Prozac. :p

In any case, definitely the weirdest performance I've ever seen.

Sorry, BYH. I'm still going to stick to listening to the old albums. I think even the audio from this concert would be pretty good -- I just never want the visual of the concert to enter my head again.

7. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

I think I might have wanted to see it just for curiousity's sake since it was the first time they got together as The Police in eons.

Who knows when they might need more money to pay off those 30 mortgages or that jet liner?

8. Castaway

Castaway New Member

I saw them too...not the "worst" show technically but lifeless. If only their mutual hatred had inspired some passion in the performances, but alas just blandness.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

How about we go see Fakeigner, wash the bad taste of the Police right away?

It was obvious the guys didn't like each other, but that was OK. They still had good musical chemistry and their chops were as good as ever. The music sounded great. Of course, I was literally in the last row of Giants Stadium, closer to the sky than the stage, so take that for what it's worth.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

And a funnel cake.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

In my neck of the woods, The Police wanted more than twice what another group's tickets cost. And the second group takes a backseat to no one.

Still, I've enjoyed listening to The Police for years. There's no rule that says the members must be best of friends for life, but the contempt between Sumner and Copeland is excessive. Sumner, while wildly talented, obviously has an ego and Copeland, according to one story I had heard, actually put the words "F_ck you, (only banned word on this site) on the toms of his kit, a "tribute" to Sumner.

It's a shame that they didn't get along better. Easily one of most talented groups assembled in the genre.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Or, as we call it in the northeast, fried dough.

Draft saved Draft deleted