1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The plural of 'dracula' is 'CHRIST GET OUT OF THERE!'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by deskslave, Oct 22, 2009.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

http://twitter.com/FakeAPStylebook

Between this and Old Hoss Radbourn, Twitter has almost become appealing to me.

I also enjoyed:

If you ever start a lede with "Webster's Dictionary defines..." you will be slapped. Seriously, cut that shit out.

You may not say "no one could have suspected..." until you have interviewed everyone on planet Earth.

Capitalize "Executive Mansion" only in references to the White House or the genitalia of Ernest Borgnine.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The "no one could have suspected" one is actually some wise advice an editor gave me when I was 22 years old.

The same editor, after I wrote "biggest victory in recent memory" said "what the fuck is recent memory?" With no good answer, I never wrote it again.

By the way, I love that Twitter feed.

3. doctorx

doctorx Member

Webster defines "recent memory" as follows: 1. since I started here two years ago, which is the beginning of time; 2. too lazy to look it up; 3. didn't have time to look it up while on furlough

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Yeah, No. 1 was my definition. Lesson learned. Six years later, I still haven't used it and I never will.

Some things really stick with you, ya know?

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Omt ndlss vwls

Draft saved Draft deleted