1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The plot to behead Stephen Harper

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Offered without comment.

http://author.nationalreview.com/latest/?q=MjE5NQ==

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Oh, good, another scolding from a right wing know nothing , summed up by this sentence:

Canada is arguably the most deluded industrialized nation in the world.

Or maybe this one;

They’ve bravely contributed to the war in Afghanistan, where 2,300 troops still serve, but refused to join the effort in Iraq, believing that jihadists would honor such fine distinctions.

No, because we didn't believe in Fredo's little adventure in Iraq--that had nothing to do with 9/11.

And Lyman, if you want to post some anti-Canadian shit, at least make it credible.

Nothing like a little anti-multiculturalism rant from the National Review and the American Enterprise Institute.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Goldberg sounds like a keyboard cowboy who's never been north of the 49th. Although he is right about one thing, multiculturalism works no better than the 'melting-pot' philosophy. But his delivery sucks.

4. And I'm supposed to buy anti-GOP/conservative pablum the echo chamber serves up here daily, courtesy of Web sites that encompass the left wing? I'm sure those are credible, too.

Consider this food for thought, JR. You could use some variety in your diet, anyway.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Offered without comment." Who are you trying to kid, Lyman? Offering it at all pretty much sums up your comment right there.

Too bad even the most factual information gets twisted to promote certain agendas. Yes, Canada does rank 50th in the world in terms of the number of soldiers sent on peacekeeping missions. What he doesn't mention is that Canada is the ONLY nation that has participated in each and every peacekeeping mission in United Nations history. I could go on but what's the point?

I wonder if this guy Goldberg would feel the same way about Canada if we kissed up to Israel as much as he thinks we kiss up to the United States.

And as far as slapping us out of our delusions is concerned, bring it on. We can stand up for ourselves whenever it becomes necessary. People like you and Goldberg just wouldn't know it because we're not a warmongering nation that runs around creating conflict and looking for trouble, unlike some countries I could mention.

6. Well, if Canada has participated in every U.N. peacekeeping mission and still ranks only 50th, I'd say that proves his point.

Your second comment hints at anti-Semitism.

And your last comment doesn't hint at but is a prime example of full-fledged Canadian smug superiority. If you only could pull your head out of your rectum . . .

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Double J...you crossed the line with "war mongering nation". Germany was a war mongering nation...twice. It's much easier to say what you would do if you were the most powerful, but when you are the most powerful you're expected tough decisions need to be made, and they never appease everyone.

In no way am I bashing Canada, I love the country, the people and trult respect their knowledge of world events and politics (I have a maple leaf tattoo).

Thats all I have to say.....if you want to discuss further send me a P.M.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

If the CN Tower ever gets blown up, Double J or your PM gets beheaded (God forbid to both), who do you think is gonnna be the first phone call received from or placed to a foregin nation?

War-mongering, my foot.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The column was all over the place.
    He made what I thought were some good points, but was way off on others.

Canada is truly a nation that is in love with itself. We are a nation that holds a holier than thou attitude that often is so afraid of accidentally offending any group that it completely over looks obvious problems, or at the very least the powers that be are afraid to say what they really think or know, allowing factions of the public to go on thinking we really are better than everybody else. That or in the avoidance of insulting a minority we drag a much larger group under the bus.

Why do we rank 50th in the world in numbers of soldiers sent on peacekeeping missions? The fact is our military is already stretched to it's limit due to more than a decade of neglect - so much so that our numbers have dropped to the bare minimum, and when we did go over to Afghanistan we had to piggy back on the back of the Americans to get there. Then on top of that we don't even give our soldiers camouflaged uniforms causing numerous public-born fundraising campaigns back in Canada to get our troops camouflaged uniforms. Our military was so under-funded that our once proud air force paniced when called into action for the Afghanistan campaigns because less than 10 per cent of its aircraft met current basic military standards and a mass-upgrading in equipment was required. That's why we rank 50th in the world, and you can look directly at the Liberal government that was in power for 13 years as to why we fell so far behind.
    He was way off on why we didn't join the Americans in Iraq, it was because we didn't agree as JR pointed out, with W's public reasoning and evidence for an invasion. Although I would have supported the invasion for the humanitarian reasons.

In anything the US does it seems they are damned if they do an damned if they don't whether it's a Bush in power, Clinton, Reagan, and on down the line.

I am a proud Canadian, but I also have strong American roots. There are things I love about this country and there are things that piss me off about this country, same with the US. We are hardly infallible as some would like to believe.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Uh matter of fact, Double J is correct. When fishing vessels were encroaching upon the international water boundary, the navy went out there and kicked some ass. Maybe we couldn't stand up to the States, but we sure have done a fine job of it when we needed it.
    And speaking of smug superiority, markvid gave us another example. Yeah, of course we're putting a phone call in to the White House if we need help. Don't forget how the good people of Newfoundland and Nova Scotia opened up their homes to strangers who were stranded for days when a couple of planes hit the World Trade Center.
    Please let's dispense with the you-vs.-us nonsense. Not only is it childish but it gets tired quickly.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

My point, Flash is, this country can't be war mongering sometimes and a great friend other times when the convenience fits.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Likewise, we can't be a bunch of silly, addle-minded dolts sometimes and great hosts who help you out other times. Do you think Stephen Harper and George W. Bush bitch and whine at each other like this when they're talking about foreign/domestic policy?

Draft saved Draft deleted