1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The plot to behead Stephen Harper

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Jun 6, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So you defend a story where you need to read the byline to guess the backround of the writers, and then have to assume that everyone can guess the overwhelming common denominator.  That's Pulitzer material.

Okay, I'll play along with The Star Guessing Game, and guess the next most obvious common denominator.  How about "hate"?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As JJ pointed out other than the fact that they were Muslims.

And asking if the Star is an actual newspaper either means you have your tongue planted firmly in your cheek or your ignorance is overwhelming.

As I mentioned before, this whole thing strikes me as amateur hour as Thomas Walkom points out in today's Star.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...ageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home

Their so-called training camp turns out to have been a swath of bush near Washago, where their activities — shooting off firearms and playing paintball — were so obvious and so irritating that local residents immediately called police

Sounds like Keystone Cops.

Oh, and yes, Thomas Walkom is a "real" journalist.

3. poindexter

So does JJ come with every Star "newspaper" and provide explanations for the writers? Because the writers wrote "And still, says a source, it is difficult to find a common denominator.

The writers wrote that it was difficult to find a common denominator. They didn't write that it was difficult to find a common denominator BESIDES MUSLIM.

And it's *NOT* difficult to find a common denominator BESIDES MUSLIM. Google any of the other 2,000,000 articles written. Another common denominator is HATE.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Try reading the story again. It's an analysis to find out the common thread--beyond the obvious--that connects these people.

Coming up with "Muslim" and "hate" isn't analysis.

That constitutes an amazing grasp of the obvious which the writers of the story probably thought that even the dumbest reader could have figured out.

Keep flogging that dead horse.

Oh, and while the Globe, Sun & the ridiculous National Post were sitting on their hands, it was the Star's crime reporter who broke this story. Scooped all of them.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Actually, it's not. For it to be Pulitzer material, it would have to appear in an American publication. The Toronto Star, being a Canadian publication, is therefore ineligible. You know, since we're splitting hairs and all.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What are you talking about?!?!?!?!?!? It is on Fox News!!!!!!!!! [/typical dumbass illiterate redneck Fox News watcher]

7. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

The main suspect looks like a cross between Jesus and Rasputin.

[​IMG]

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You mean Yusuf Islam, well known terrorist hack songwriter old hippie.

10. Sounds to me like thse guys were a) the Marx Brothers of terrorist wannabees, and b) given up by people in their own community. You know, Muslims.

11. poindexter

Or being tracked by the authorities who monitored the internet, who set up the bogus transaction...

And Fenian, please don't tell me by pulling the "you know, Muslim" line that you are setting up Strawman example 1A. By writing what you did, you imply that people here (me) imply that *ALL * muslims are bad. Very disingenuous.

12. poindexter

pwned.

Draft saved Draft deleted