1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The players tried to take the field ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If the band held their senior event at the Thursday afternoon soccer game they might
    have had a more sympathetic crowd, albeit a smaller one.

The primary event of the evening was football. The band was a bit player and should
    have recognized this.

2. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Holy crap, missing the point batman.

The band did NOT run over. There were still 4 1/2 minutes left in regular halftime and I believe someone said this was state that tacks another 3 on for the teams to warm up.

I've seen few schools that didn't do senior night en masse. Some do all the fall sports at the senior night football game. I've covered high school sports for 30 years and can say that the ones that didn't do that, did and do honor all seniors affiliated with Friday nights which includes football team, band and cheerleaders. It's all the same event.

This isn't about the band. This is about an out of control coach.

3. Boom_70

Why do the hold senior event at football game ? Is it considered more important
    than say the last field hockey game or soccer game?

4. Morris816

Morris816 Member

The schools I cover hold a senior night at their last home games, but each sport has its own senior night. Exception: Band and cheerleaders are recognized during the football game, but that's mostly because that's when they perform. The school I covered previously waited until the cheerleaders' showcase prior to state (which was in April) but that seems to be the exception.

But at the schools I've covered at my current job, they make sure to get all seniors recognized within the allotted time before the game, or in the band's case, the allotted time for halftime. No extension of halftime or late starts. And since there are none — what exactly is the problem?

I'm not sure why people are so bothered by senior nights. So the boosters give the seniors a bunch of goodies and thank them for their four years — if that's what the boosters want to do, then let them and quit worrying about it.

And this whole "but it's a football game" talk is just as holier-than-thou as "but my kid works hard." If the band has exceeded its allotted time, you have every right to complain. If not, then take a deep breath and relax.

5. Boom_70

I went to a football game and a band concert broke out.

Draft saved Draft deleted