1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The players tried to take the field ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You ever wonder how Adams College did against State the next day?
    I mean, the entire team's mindset has got to be a mess after that pep rally. The quarterback just found out his girlfriend fucked a nerd; the star lineman and coach have just been emasculated in front of the student body; and the rest of the team has had to uproot their living quarters to make room for the Tri-Lambs.
    On top of all that, the mighty Atoms are apparently deathly afraid of black people, so you've gotta believe State's star running back Tyrone "Black Panther" Jones rushed for about 250 yards and four touchdowns.
    I'm thinking State won 44-7, with Stan Gable throwing four interceptions and Ogre getting shown up worse than Manti Te'o against Alabama. Gamblers also made a killing once word of the nerd uprising broke out.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If you made it past the third graph you read more than I did.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Didn't one of them go to Wake. I thought that's why they wrote Deacon Blues.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The band forgot their place in the pecking order. It's called a football
    field and not a band field for a reason.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In Texas high school football, halftimes are 28 minutes. All because of the bands. It's the reason why I consider myself lucky if I walk out of a stadium before 11:15 p.m.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And speaking of Remember the Titans, there was never a Roanoke City Stadium or whatever they called it. It was Victory Stadium.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Awesome.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yes ... at least where you live. Around here, these Saturday night band competitions outdraw the football games sometimes.

We dismiss what we think is an "only the family comes" event, and we don't remember what that entails. It could be eight, 10 people with girlfriends, buddies and the like. It adds up.

And yes, there's a little bit of Gerald Broflovski's "Smug Alert" going on with band parents and band competitions. I mean, their kids are creative ... AND they're musicians!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You didn't hit a nerve, but the glaring ignorance made it fair game. Sorry if you feel like you were attacked.

As shot clarified, it depends on where you live, how good football is, how much football is followed, the people who might care about music, support for the bands, etc. My high school wasn't very good in football, but people cheered the band on at halftime.

Even I know that's unusual - typically, it's the other way around. Wasn't a competition band, but a show band. But point was it was leaving the band room no matter how mediocre the football team was.

And yes, the coach has a problem. Good that he got called on it, but wish the column had been written better. It screamed of a parent who always tells the sports department how hard everyone else works ... that football gets everything and their sports always get overlooked. Expect that from a parent with blinders, but a journalist with a more comprehensive view of the scene who has column space?

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I like to pinpoint band (and to a lesser extent cheerleading) as the epicenter of the pussification of high school students in today's culture. It's the perfect example of the 'my kid is special, just like everyone else' approach that seems to run rampant in today's society.
    Your kid is playing a clarinet. Get the f**k over yourself.
    And if you think little Timmy really tried as hard as the other ACTUAL athletes out there, why don't you go ahead and see if he can hack a two-a-day practice session in August.
    Just because you might give him orange slices after his big "competition" doesn't mean he's accomplished something. Sure, he might have made some great friends and a lot of good memories. Good for him.
    But don't try to pretend it's equal. It's not.
    There are athletes who play actual sports and then there are kids who don't do anything at all except go home and play video games. Your child's participation in band and/or cheer puts them in between the two but his or her accomplishments are a hell of a lot closer to the latter than the former.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wow, schieza. I always thought your Redskins rants would reign as a shining beacon to your stupidity. Turns out that didn't even last three months. Good work, you had a high bar to clear.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The consumer public cares as much about writing awards as you care about Mary Lou Who getting honored for making first clarinet.

Draft saved Draft deleted