1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The players tried to take the field ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I know. Just saying, a long-winded band can have an effect on the football game.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Annandale band should've taken a cue from LSU's band:

[​IMG]

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

A long-winded band is the fault of a long-winded band director. I knew quite a few who hated football games because they couldn't run through their entire 15-minute field show during halftime.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever covered a game where the home team was flagged for the band taking too long at halftime?

I have. 15 yards

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Not to my knowledge. Her boyfriend at the time went to Bishop Ireton.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Which is where my nephew went. To this day, have no idea where it is located other than somewhere up here.
    A friend in high school was quarterback at O'Connell and one of his games vs. Ireton was one of the best I've seen.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Other than Bandboy's parents no one gives a crap about the band at a HS football game.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

One school I cover does its warmup on its own practice field across the street from the stadium, prefering the dramatic entrance before kickoff. Got to their home finale/rivalry game an hour before kickoff. 45 minutes before kickoff, they were introducing the seniors.

Author of the column linked in OP lost me in third graf when she wrote about how hard the band tried anyway.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

These go to 11.......

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Um, wrong.

But thanks for playing.

For those bands that concern themselves with weekend competitions, Friday nights are little more than rehearsal for what it plans to do for the weekend. They'll go on regardless of Friday night football. Does the band get any portion of the gate receipts? Does it still have to put together car washes, fundraisers and other various functions to piece together enough money for travel, buying new uniforms, percussion equipment, instrument repair and occasional big purchases?

Yup. Football isn't paying the band's freight. So pack up that idea ... and, again, thanks for playing.

Column was kinda poor, other than exposing the school for excessively poor communication. It tends to help if the band works with the school and football team to try not to go until the halftime clock hits zero. Also helps if the football team realizes that it isn't the only one that recognizes seniors at their last home game. In summary, Rodney King's mantra.

Anyway ... carry on.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Again, if football game was not a signature event for the band why would they
    chose to recognize the seniors at game?
    Do they play at Soccer games? Girls Field Hockey, Swim meet? Certainly there
    were other forums.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wasn't Groveton pretty prominent in "Remember the Titans?"

Oh well there will always be a Fluvana. And Collegiate will kick St. Chris's butt.

Draft saved Draft deleted