1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The players tried to take the field ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Nov 18, 2013.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I always recall a 20-minute halftime, followed by a 3-minute warmup period. It occurs to me only now to wonder why they didn't just put 23 minutes on the clock, but there you go.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Bingo. On Senior Night you have to honor members of the band, cheerleaders, pep squad, drill team, managers, faculty advisors . . .

I seem to remember one high school put 45:00 on the pregame clock to get all this done. Absolutely brutal.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Do whatever the hell you want pregame. As long as the game kicks off on time, you can have a damn circus on the field for pregame for all I would have given a shit in those days.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Actually, when I think Annandale, I don't think football -- I think band. Specifically, Steely Dan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj9Rs56u8YY

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Without football, the band never leaves the band room.

And wow, is the word "bully" being thrown around ever so easily nowadays.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I did too. Two great songs come together on the same thread. And they still call
    Alabama the Crimson Tide.

The coach should have left it up to the officials to deal with. At least in our state once
    game starts they have control.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Not if they're a competing marching band. If they're a competing band those kids couldn't give a damn about the football games. It's a necessary evil before the next competition when they take their shot at bringing home a trophy. There's a high school near Pittsburgh - Kiski Area - where the band has a national reputation for its quality. In response to the national notoriety the school receives, whatever that band wants, they get, but if the football team needs new jerseys...hey, you have a booster club. Call them.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I'll rise when the sun goes down
    Cover every game in town

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Yeah, for competing marching bands, football games are just fucking-around time before the real events. A friend's son just got back to the Chicago area from Lucas Oil Stadium for one regional event. I believe the same stadium hosts a national championship.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Haven't read the story yet but Annandale being 1-9 is a tad jarring. YEARS ago when I was in HS around these parts, Annandale was it. Road to the title went through Annandale every year. When you managed to beat the Atoms, you'd done something.

11. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

I couldn't make it through the whole thing. Preachy, sanctimonious dreck.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Bands of America has been holding its Grand Nationals in Indianapolis (first the Hoosier Dome, now Lucas Oil) for going on 30 years. It's a huge, three-day event. There's another marching band association which holds either a regional or national competition at MetLife. So yeah, these band members are way more focused on putting on a good show at these competitions than they are the Senior Night football game against Asstown Central, especially when the team is littered with shitsuckers.

Draft saved Draft deleted