1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Pizza Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Sounds gay.

Machine Head and YankeeFan like this.
  2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

At our neighborhood joint, the Pizza Grocery in Corinth, Miss., my wife's favorite pie is the Fig Pizza.
    No joke - Mozzarella, gorgonzola, fig, prosciutto and a balsamic reduction.
    I was exceedingly skeptical the first time she ordered it. More savory than sweet, it's quite tasty in small doses.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Well, since most of us won't know the non-chain pizza places ... but yeah, local shops are head and shoulders above.

And why don't you tell us about the BEST pie? :) That mozzarella looks amazing.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Henry, Those are flavors that get paired together a lot. Throw some arugula on there, too, and it would work.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sitting in a hospital ER. Pizza guy just made a delivery. We got the number from the guy and ordered two more pizzas for us and the other folks waiting here.

One cheese, one pepperoni.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Got this pie at one of the other local farm-to-table joints that are all the rage nowadays (NTTAWWT).
    Was somewhat disappointed in the collards, but the sausage was AMAZING.

Sausage + Collards - tomato sauce, mozzarella, olives, fresno chiles

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A while back my wife and I went with another couple to one of those places that lets you create your own pizza by picking various toppings. I read the fine print and quickly realized that you were better off getting one of the menu pizzas for half the price. The other couple didn't realize it and just started picking toppings off the menu.
    When the bill came, they were shocked to see their pizza cost $35. I just laughed.

8. Mr. Sunshine

We have one of those places by us, but my guess is it goes out of business before we decide to try it.

9. Mr. Sunshine

No arugula? What's the name of the place?

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the prices they charge per topping can be outlandish. At my favorite local place, they charge from 1.79 for small to 2.99 for the giant per topping, not counting the specialty pies.
    Best pie I have ever had was from one of those take-and-bake joints, but it was a small operation, and the guy who owned it was from NY. Ingredients were excellent.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Can someone explain to me why pepperoni is the go-to topping? Every time someone orders a bunch of pizza, three quarters of them have those nasty, greasy, shriveled up pieces of pepperoni on them. Drives me nuts.
    When I was in college I always felt like the cheapass bastard when pizza was ordered. The drunks I hung out with would invariably order Dominos (back in the 90s when the slices were all 2 inches wide and the crust was as black as a truck tire) with pepperoni. It was fucking disgusting, and there was no talking them into a normal cheese. So I said no, I'm out. Then, two hours later, there would be like two slices left and they'd goad me into eating it because they wanted to get rid of it. And, being super hungry by then, I'd do my best to pick off the pepperoni and eat it.
    But anyway, pepperoni is the most overrated pizza topping on the face of the planet.

old_tony and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  12. Mr. Sunshine

Fuck yeah. Pepperoni is fine unooked. It sucks on pizza.

Draft saved Draft deleted