1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Pizza Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Apr 3, 2015.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Sorry. Just seeing this. I am all over the place on my favorite. DiFara is probably the best slice in NY still at this point, although I haven't had too many of them. It's just in the middle of nowhere for my sphere of travels.

Best pies? Again, all over the place. My list probably differs from what I have posted on here in the past, but my top 3:

1) Juliana's
    2) Lucali
    3) Keste

In the post you did after the one I just quoted, they have Grimaldi's at #25 nationwide and Julianas at #48. Since they are right near each other and Juliana's is in the space that Grimaldi's was, and Juliana's is the original Grimaldi's (they just sold their name), the comparison is natural. And I think that list has it exactly backward. Grimaldi's is still a very good pie. Julianas is a notch above. I love that your list had Lombardi's at #23. I don't think it is quite as good a pie as the ones I listed (and I realize this is all subjective / opinion), but if you want the full experience, there is no more storied pizzeria in America.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Agree on Juliana's vs Grimaldi's.

Agree on Lombardi's.

Have to try Keste's. It's sort of inconveniently located for us. Same with Lucali.

I'm a traditionalist, so I like Totonno's, especially now that it's back to the one store in Coney Island.

Was glad to see Prince St. Pizza on that list. An overlooked world-class slice.

We don't get to Motorino as often as we should. But happily we're in New Haven enough to enjoy Pepe's / Sally's / Modern.

Never liked John's as much as other folks do.

Walked into Joe's two nights ago. Still a top-5 slice.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Juliana's: Coal Fired, NY Sired. (I still have that photo on my phone from my first NYC trip last year.)

Good pizza, and the beer selection is pretty good, too.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) I am with you on John's. Don't get me wrong, it is good pizza, but I can name 10 sit down places I prefer. Out of the John's, for me, the one on Bleeker Street is still the best.
    2) Definitely worth a trip to Keste. I love the West Village, so no big deal for me. Don't be put off by the foofy vibe. Stick with the more traditional pizzas. ... they know what they are doing.
    3) Lucali is in Brooklyn. The neighborhood I posted about a few weeks ago, actually. I actually have met (know) the owner, Mark Iacono. Interesting story. He grew up in the neighborhood and saw the empty storefront and rented it because he didn't want it to become a chain store. He had no clue what he was going to do with it, and actually had limited pizza-making experience and ability. But he just put the oven in, some tables, opened the doors, and the guy had a gift. Word spread quickly, and now there isn't a night where there isn't a line. No reservations, so it kind of sucks. You show up at 5, put your name on a list and pray you won't have to wait too long. Part of it is that this guy just knows how to make a pizza. The other is the ingredients he sources, not unlike Dom at Di Fara's. Much different kind of place, but he shops locally for the cheese, his meats, etc. And the caring really shines through on his pies.
    4) Same on Motorino. Been there, but. ...
    5) I seem to agree with you on just about everything. .... except Totonno's. Just not in the same class for me. But it's opinion, and I understand that those vary.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Shouldn't this be merged with the Pittsburgh priests thread?

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Most surprised that Jason Concepcion apparently lived in my old hood given his ability to walk to Difara’s.

My mom is cleaning out the apartment I grew up in and she found a picture of my 6year old birthday party, which was slices of pizza and Italian ices at Difara’s.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Meant to post the other day that I tried the new Di Fara in Williamsburg.

Part of me wants to say stay away, it's no good, don't bother.

But pizza is too important to lie about.

Truth is, it's just as good. Tastes like Dom made it himself.

And I can walk to it.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is pizza really any good unless it gets favorable reviews from Davey Pageviews?

Draft saved Draft deleted