1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Pizza Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Having been educated about Detroit pizza, it sounds solid. I’d try it.

Though, I’m the sort of freak who likes both New York and Chicago style. I think they’re different things, but both can be great.

And yeah. I like Hawaiian pizza too. Can’t we all just get along?

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

That screams only being able to eat that with knife and fork (how do you get a good fold on those pieces?) and I'm not ok with that.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Harris' or Frank's. Basically the same, but it seems to be an either-or question. Not much crossover.

For the knife and fork question posted later - not needed. Wide enough to fit in your mouth.

4. Spartan Squad

That's what she said (just to get that out of the way first)

But my concern was the flopping over of the piece as you hold it. You fold to keep the slice from going limp so you can eat it with one hand. Is that still a problem?

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

You never had a Sicilian pie? You don't have to fold it, just pick it up kind of like a hoagie.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Ledo’s Pizza, The Original Ledo’s was in Adelphi, Maryland off the College Park campus. It was rectangle, thin flaky crust almost pastry like. The sauce was a cross between Greek tomato sauce and a sweet Roma tomato sauce.

Brought up on NY/NJ pizza I was hesitant to think it could be good. It was great. It’s a chain now. And the pizza is no where near as good as the original. The original restaurant is gone, they moved it to Route 1in college park. It’s just another Ledo’s franchise now. The orignal was a real old fashioned ItalianAmerican restaurant.

Back when College Park was a real dive university town, Ledo’s, the Vous, Purple Pizza, Terrapin Taco House, the Varsity Grill and the back room, Town Hall, Hungry Herman’s.

Only Marathon Deli lives, home to best gyro.

7. Spartan Squad

Fair enough

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

La Nova pizza in Buffalo. Yum.

A & B Pizza in Bismarck has cut pizza into squares for decades. Not a bad place.

Pizzeria Lola and Hello Pizza, in MSP. Opened by a friend of mine from Bismarck, of all places.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Nah. Big enough so need to two-hand it (put that on a tee for you), but like cjerichonsaid, like a hoagie.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great to see some love up thread for Pizza Suprema in NYC. Went there on our last trip, made two trips through the line. There was a Hell's Kitchen joint across from our hotel whose name escapes me that came through or us after a long day of exploring midtown.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Suprema makes good pizza. Excellent sauce. Excellent cheese.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call it a "cracker" crust, but it's stiff enough to make it work.

Your hands are going to get a little messy though.

Draft saved Draft deleted