1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Pizza Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Two rules:

No politics

No vegetarians

I'll get us started with a heartwarming story.

I was out shopping tonight and I called the wife to talk dinner.

"If you feel like calling in an order, I'll stop by the pizza place and pick up dinner."

"Sure, what kind do you want?"

"I don't know. Something with vegetables. Surprise me."

I arrive at the pizza joint to find a large onion, green pepper and bacon pizza waiting for me.

Now that's a fucking wedding pizza!

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pizza is about the sauce first and foremost.

Lt.Drebin likes this.
  3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Brown sugar. Sweet, hot and juicy.
    Please don't unfriend me for that.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I consider an adult eating Little Caesar's to be an unfriendable offense.

Lt.Drebin and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  5. Mr. Sunshine

Cheese on top of the ingredients is where it's at.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Saw a commercial for them the other day. Had no idea they still existed.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Little Caesar's and Hungry Howies are NOT pizza. No sweet sauce, and give me some quality sausage and pepperoni.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I remember in the 70's when we ordered delivery, we always had to say "no anchovies."

And that was in North Carolina.

Then in the 80's, that didn't even seem like an option. Now it is with Papa John's and maybe other chains.

Anyway, a few years ago I got to thinking about how we ordered pizza in the 70's, and what the fuck is this thing about the anchovies?

Looked it up, and I guess it started out as an NYC thing.

I've tried it once. Didn't really care for it. I seem to recall only getting them on half, but the whole damn pizza tasted like fish. Vowed I wouldn't do that again. Think it was Papa John's.

I do like them on Caesar salads. Just haven't taken to liking them on pizza. Not yet at least. If I eat pizza, I want to eat pizza. Not pussy.

Any recommendations on places that do anchovies really well?

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Worked at Dominos in the late 80s and we had anchovies. Those things are vile, slimy, yet somehow tasty. Never liked em much on pizza either, but if we had a bad delivery or prank and there was a free pizza with anchovies, I sure as hell ate that shit.

10. Mr. Sunshine

There was a time I would go to Hungry Howie's on occasion because it was cheap and nearby. But I inevitably ended up eating more of the salad bar than the pizza. I contend CiCi's is the worst of all the hillbilly pizza buffets, though.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I've rarely had Papa John's pizza that wasn't dogshit.

12. Mr. Sunshine

At the bar after work one night playing darts and alcoholism. Next to the bar was a deep dish pizza joint. At some point, the bartender yells that there was a fucked-up order and there was a free pizza if anyone wanted it. The catch? The sole "topping" was spinach. I ate the shit out of it. Even with the drinking as a mitigating factor, that was one of the darker days in my pizza history.

Draft saved Draft deleted