1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The pitfalls of social media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I like the fact that my paper has finally hit the world of social media, using Facebook and Twitter, but I really got an up close look at how these outlets can effect everyday people. A guy was arrested for armed robery recently and we put it up on Facebook after getting the police report.

After a few comments talking about how the guy was a loser, a young girl with the same last name begged people to stop commenting. It just made me feel bad. Tough way to learn your dad is a scumbag.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel any better, I am sure the girl already knew her dad was a scumbag.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

NO NO NO NO NO - Nothing bad ever happens as a result of Facebook, Myspace and other social media. They are perfectly normal and talk of perverts using them to meet kids is all paranoia and hysteria....[/Big Ragu, Myspace ambassador and consultant]

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I got an email last week from MySpace. Subject was something like "Where have you been?" Not navigating your shitty site, losers.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Social media are just a conduit for people to do what they were going to do anyway. If it wasn't Facebook, it'd be the local coffee shop.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You'd play Farmville at the local coffee shop?

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

:D

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't like social media, but I also think that the whole perv-in-ever-chatroom thing has been completely overblown, with Chris Hansen throwing fuel on the fire by citing bogus stats that are now stated as fact.

I don't like social media because I think that it is an enormous distraction for distractable teens (and adults), and also because I feel it has become an easy substitute for real human interaction.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

But if Brittany wants to spread vicious untruths about Ashleigh, she's going to have a hard time reaching tens of thousands of people in the coffee shop.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I doubt a 13-year-old girl is hanging out in too many coffee shops, and Facebook is where complete and random strangers can just pile on a story about a family member while a young daughter (and all of her friends) reads it. I know it's what we have to do, it just made me feel a little bad for the girl, not the clown father.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You should let it go, instead of dragging me into it. These have not been your finest moments on this board.

Are your kids still wearing burkas, and not allowed to do the normal activities all of their teenage friends partake in, such as having a facebook page?

I hope you don't let them go to the mall, because they are much more vulnerable to sexual predators out in public (no, I am not wishing that on them; just think you have come off as a raving paranoid every time this comes up), than they are because they have a facebook page (it's virtually nonexistent, given how many teens have social media pages)--something just about every kid does have, which you deemed horrible for teenagers and then went on a raving tear about (and proceed to invoke me every time it comes up). The prevalence of your kids falling victim of sexual predators due to social media is not very high relative to kids falling victim to bad things via actual real life interactions with adults (and even there the incidence is overstated, because it makes sensational Dateline episodes).

You muddled everything online with social media last time around without any coherent line of thought. You made no distinction between a chat room and Myspace, for example. And you blamed Alison Stokely on that first thread for the harassment she received because of how she looked (she was a high school champion high jumper), because you said she brought it on herself by having a Myspace page, when in fact, the page that led to the mess was set up by others -- using photos of her competing in High School track and field events. It was shameful, even though you did it inadvertently before knowing facts -- blaming the girl for others' harassing her (she didn't set up a Myspace page; she was guilty of competing in high school athletics!).

I suspect you will ignore facts again. But study after study from a task force of state attorney generals to the Internet Safety Technical Task Force have found that children are less vulnerable to online sexual predators than popular media and people like you make them out to be. Your kids are much less safe on their way to school (although they are safe given the low frequency of incidents) than they are online with a facebook page. Do you lock them in the house 24/7 to keep them safe?

And even with the relatively low incidence of predatory encounters online given how many people are online, the majority of predatory encounters solicited occur occur via chat rooms and instant messaging, not on social networking sites.

I suspect a rant is coming, but I hope not.

12. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

At least on Facebook they're presumably posting under their real names.

Draft saved Draft deleted